Trial AttorneyNationwide Mutual Insurance Company. - Newport Beach, CA
The Trial Attorney position is open in the Newport Beach Trial Division Office of Nationwide Insurance. We are seeking an seasoned litigator with 10+ years’ experience managing a caseload of complex personal and commercial insurance defense cases. First chair trial experience is required. The successful candidate must demonstrate considerable initiative and the ability to relate well with business clientele. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, are also essential. Must be able to draft own pleadings, discovery and reports. The position includes a competitive base salary, bonus opportunity and benefits plan. __________________________________________________________
Summary: Provides legal representation for clients in matters of significant importance and/or risk. Reviews and evaluates assigned cases. Prepares and tries cases in all courts and agencies. Independently works on matters that are complex in nature. Regularly communicates with Claims and clients and fosters and develops relationship with Claims. Provides related legal advice and services. May assist in mentoring other trial attorneys and paralegals.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Managing Trial Attorney
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently leads or works directly on high risk, complex and/or difficult legal matters, representing clients in trials or hearings before courts or agencies, including appeals or arbitrations.
- Reviews and evaluates cases and lawsuits in accordance with NTD Best Practices guidelines. Demonstrated proficiency interpreting Insurance contracts and coverage issues; strong knowledge of state and local practices and rules.
- Works with client and claims to establish, communicates and implements Litigation plan. Keeps client and claims fully informed. Fosters and develops relationship with Claims; has contact with Claims management and uses initiative to help expand and retain business.
- Prepares and tries cases of high complexity and exposure in all courts and agencies including cases involving toxic substances, extensive injuries, permanent injuries and/or ongoing treatment. Cases may involve inflammatory factors (DUI, death of a child, egregious).
- Recognizes, participates and promotes settlement opportunities. Negotiates as authorized settlement value requires adjuster's second level manager approval.
- Obtains meaningful discovery, takes depositions, and participates in motion practice as warranted. May mentor other attorneys with respect to deposition practices and techniques.
- May train or mentor less experienced trial attorneys or paralegals on procedural or legal issues. May conduct training for Claims.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: JD Degree from an accredited law school.
License/Certification/Designation: Currently licensed as an attorney in an appropriate U.S. jurisdiction. Maintains an active license in the state in which the position is located.
Experience: Typically has eight to ten years of relevant civil litigation, trial experience and/or agency hearing representation experience. A skilled attorney in an area of law relevant to insurance practice.
Knowledge: Has significant expertise in one or more specialized areas of trial law. Engages in complex legal practices and procedures. Substantive civil law, insurance contracts knowledge. Adherence to Private Practice of Law policy.
Skills/Competencies: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Significant negotiation skills. Ability to process information efficiently and effectively. Excellent analytical and legal skills. Resourceful, creative thinker. Computer savvy with a working knowledge of basic software and use of same. Good time management and organization skills. Comfortable contact with all levels of management. Decision-making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations. Ability to initiate, organize and coordinate complex projects and cases. Leadership skills, including motivating, influencing and problem solving.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Overtime Eligibility: Exempt (Not Eligible)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Frequent travel. Occasional overnight travel. Extended hours are often necessary to meet the demands of the profession.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit check and/or background which will be requires as part of the selection process.
122 days 8 hours ago
Please review all application instructions before applying.
Nationwide is a company of great people doing great things. We care deeply about doing what’s right, and we work hard to make an impact for everyone: our associates, our members, our partners and our communities. We’re in the business of protecting people and the things they care about most. We trustingly advise our members, offering comprehensive solutions like home, auto, life, pet and business insurance, as well as retirement savings tools and identity theft protection. And we know the work we do matters. How do we accomplish it all? By hiring and retaining people who are as driven and caring as you. From offering a competitive benefits package to raising our minimum wage to $15, our commitment to our associates is clear. When you work at Nationwide, you know that the difference is GREAT.
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Trial Attorney
- Civil Litigation Attorney
Santa Ana, CA
- Associate Attorney
Long Beach, CA
- Subrogation Attorney
- Trial Attorney IV
View More Jobs in Newport Beach, CA:
- View More Jobs in Newport Beach, CA
- More Trial Attorney Jobs in Newport Beach, CA
- More Legal Jobs in Newport Beach, CA
- More Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. Jobs in Newport Beach, CA
View More Jobs in California:
- View More Jobs in California
- More Trial Attorney Jobs in California
- More Legal Jobs in Newport Beach, CA
- More Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. Jobs in California