Tool Fabrication Technician JobCorning Incorporated - Santa Barbara, CA
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group): The successful technician will become the primary operator/craftsmen for the 350 FG Micro Marching center. Precision tooling is required for forming the cone in the liquid lens. The Tool Fab Tech will work with project engineers to design, specify and fabricate the required tooling. Development and production of this tooling is essential to the success of the cone forming effort.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Maintenance of machine and support facilities to ensure system operational integrity
• Component, Tooling, and Machine set-up to required specifications
• Reading and interpreting technical drawings to achieved desired outcome in machining
• Using Math, Geometry, Trigonometry, and basic Physics to formulate machining processes
• Micro-processor programming (g code) and de-bugging of tool paths
• Machine operation to produce tooling in an efficient manner
• Inspection of resultant tooling to show conformance to specifications
• Maintain cause and effect awareness of machining runs for process improvement and failure analysis
• Offer analysis of operations to improve cost, quality, and delivery and to assist in post-production troubleshooting.
Education and Experience:
• High school grad or GED certification
• Completing some college level math or technical courses a plus.
• Experience operating micro-processor controller fabrication equipment
• Experience programing CNC (or other micro-processor) controlled machining equipment.
• Thorough and methodical
• Demonstrated ability to apply Math, Geometry, and Trigonometry skills.
• Metal alloy material science and machining principals
• Single Point Diamond Turning (SPDT) knowledge
• Knowledge of metrology techniques and equipment to inspect critical characteristics created by micro machining
• Familiarity with standard cutters and tooling used in metal fabrication
• CAD modeling capability
• CAD/CAM tool path creation experience
• Experience programing CNC (or other micro-processor) controlled machining equipment. Soft Skills: Patient, Deliberate, Creative, Analytical, Persistent
Travel Requirements: Some Domestic Travel
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hrs./week, M-F (6:00-14:30), some flex time (but minimal)
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Apply online at:
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required: 5
Education Required: High School
10 days 20 hours ago
applyTool Fabrication Technician Job Corning Incorporated - Santa Barbara, CA, United States
Corning Incorporated manufactures and sells specialty glasses, ceramics, and related materials worldwide. The company operates through five segments: Display Technologies, Optical Communications, Environmental Technologies, Specialty Materials, and Life Sciences. The Display Technologies segment manufactures glass substrates for active matrix liquid crystal displays (LCDs) that are used primarily in notebook computers, flat panel desktop monitors, and LCD televisions. The Optical Communications segment manufactures optical fiber and cable, and hardware and equipment products comprising cable assemblies, fiber optic hardware and connectors, optical components and couplers, closures, network interface devices, and other accessories. The Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary, and gasoline and diesel applications. The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide approximately 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics, and fluoride crystals. The Life Sciences segment develops, manufactures, and supplies scientific laboratory products, such as general labware and equipment, as well as specialty surfaces, media, and reagents for cell culture research, bioprocessing, genomics, drug discovery, microbiology, and chemistry. This segment also develops and produces various technologies, including the Corning Epic technology for screening; the Corning HYPER platform of vessels for cell yields; Corning Microcarriers for cell scale-up, therapy, and vaccine applications; Corning CellBIND, Matrigel, BioCoat, and Synthemax II surfaces; and Corning stemgro media. Corning Incorporated has strategic collaboration agreement with World Kitchen, LLC. The company was formerly known as Corning Glass Works and changed its name to Corning Incorporated in April 1989. Corning Incorporated was founded in 1851 and is based in Corning, New York.
View More Jobs in Santa Barbara, CA:
- View More Jobs in Santa Barbara, CA
- More Tool Fabrication Technician Job Jobs in Santa Barbara, CA
- More Corning Incorporated Jobs in Santa Barbara, CA
View More Jobs in California:
- View More Jobs in California
- More Tool Fabrication Technician Job Jobs in California
- More Corning Incorporated Jobs in California