Supervising Attorney-LDP RepresentationCatholic Charities Community Services - New York City, NY
This position will involve the supervision, coordination and training of junior attorneys and migration counselors within the department, including, as appropriate and necessary, those involved in the delivery of general legal services and in the delivery of services under LDP and other initiatives and projects. The Supervising Attorney will be available to train, mentor, advise and supervise several junior attorneys and migration counselors, including DOJ accredited representatives, and will maintain a caseload secondary to and dependent on supervision needs. The Supervising Attorney will also keep staff updated about changes in laws, procedures and policies relevant to immigrants, will assist in developing legal strategies to address emerging issues, and will, as needed, engage with Division Director in Senior Management matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Supervise and coordinate legal representation by attorneys, migration counselors and accredited representatives. This includes: advising/training legal staff on substantive family and immigration law and procedures; ensuring quality of legal work; ensuring delivery of legal services; and assisting the Director with required reports and requests for information about program and funding proposals.
- Conduct periodic meetings with staff attorneys to discuss and develop responses and strategies in response to emerging issues; meet regularly with the Director to provide progress reports; meet with Division Directors and Division Director, as appropriate and necessary, to assess and review and respond to needs. Strategies may include community engagement, federal litigation, etc.
- Maintain a sensible appropriate caseload, in light of and secondary to supervisory duties, that will include screening, advising, and representing individuals: a) facing removal proceedings or other immigration-related federal litigation matters, including, but not limited to: criminal or security grounds of inadmissibility/deportability, cancellation of removal, asylum, Board of Immigration Appeals and federal appeals practice, motion practice, etc., and b) in more specialized and complex immigration applications including, but not limited to: special juvenile immigrant petitions, VAWA petitions, U and T visa applications, deferred action, inadmissibility waivers, etc.
- Monitor the work of legal staff through LawLogix reminders, site visits, periodic file review, etc.
- Assist with the training of new staff in substantive immigration law and filing procedures.
- Assist the Department Director in the development and implementation of LDP and other new programming, as necessary.
- Assist with intake days and emergency walk-in cases, when necessary.
- Develop and provide in-house and outreach trainings, presentations and workshops, as directed.
- Comply with program reporting requirements, such as maintaining monthly statistics and case reports, and reporting to partners and stakeholders.
- Maintain and update electronic files in LawLogix, as well as physical case files.
- Other duties as assigned.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Travel at least 25% of the time using public transportation or vehicle, traverse city streets, occasionally ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Remain stationary at a work station, in court/meetings, and use a computer at least 75% of the time.
- Remain stationary and/or ambulate to instruct and monitor during trainings and presentations.
- Carry a laptop to offsite work locations.
Education and/or experience required:
- Juris Doctor.
- At least seven (7) years of post-JD experience in immigration law and supervision.
- Admission to a bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia; admission to the New York Bar strongly preferred.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Bilingual in English and a 2nd language preferred, but not required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and computer skills.
- Ability to work in a fast‐paced environment.
- Ability and experience working with diverse individuals and communities.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the Archdiocese of New York.
12 days 4 hours ago
Catholic Charities Community Services
Please review all application instructions before applying.
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of New York assists the poor and vulnerable through an extensive federation of more than 100 human service agencies and programs. Formally established in 1917, Catholic Charities developed into a federation of administered, sponsored and affiliated agencies. This federation of agencies, diverse in governance, administration and funding, stands united by a common vision of human dignity and service. Catholic Charities offers service to those of all religions with almost any human need. Catholic Charities serves the homeless, the hungry, the physically, mentally and emotionally challenged. We offer programs for youth, neglected children, the elderly, immigrants, and those living with HIV/AIDS. Catholic Charities collaborates with parishes and non-Catholic and Catholic partners in order to fulfill its commitment to building a compassionate and just society. Catholic Charities serves the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island, and ten counties of the New York metropolitan area including: Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess, Orange, Ulster, Sullivan and Putnam.
View More Jobs in New York City, NY:
- View More Jobs in New York City, NY
- More Supervising Attorney LDP Representation Jobs in New York City, NY
- More Legal Jobs in New York City, NY
- More Catholic Charities Community Services Jobs in New York City, NY
View More Jobs in New York:
- View More Jobs in New York
- More Supervising Attorney LDP Representation Jobs in New York
- More Legal Jobs in New York City, NY
- More Catholic Charities Community Services Jobs in New York