Staff Attorney-ICARECatholic Charities Community Services - New York City, NY
The ICARE Project serves unaccompanied immigrant children, including those in removal proceedings at the New York City Immigration Court. The position includes extensive contact with youth, including youth who have suffered abuse, abandonment, neglect, or other trauma. Core services include: legal orientations; legal intake interviews; representation before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) – including representation on immigration court “surge” dockets - and state courts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinate screenings and representation on the unaccompanied minors’ surge dockets in collaboration with ICARE partners, EOIR, and other stakeholders.
- Prepare unaccompanied minors for immigration court and appear as friend-of-the-court at hearings for minors who appear on surge and juvenile dockets.
- Provide direct representation to unaccompanied minors, including representation before the USCIS and EOIR in cases involving Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), asylum, Voluntary Departure, U visas, and other relief, and representation in New York State courts to obtain orders necessary for SIJS.
- Maintain strong working relationships with ICARE partners and other stakeholder, including funders; state and local social service providers; and USCIS, EOIR, and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- Comply with program reporting requirements, such as maintaining monthly statistics and case reports, and reporting to partners and stakeholders.
- Maintain and update electronic files in LawLogix, as well as physical case files.
- Train, mentor and supervise legal interns, fellows and volunteers for work on individual cases, presentations, legal screenings, and related work.
- Provide in-house and outreach trainings, presentations, and workshops, as directed.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Travel at least 25% of the time using public transportation or vehicle, traverse city streets, occasionally ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Remain stationary at a work station, in court/meetings, and use a computer at least 75% of the time.
- Remain stationary and/or ambulate to instruct and monitor during trainings and presentations.
- Carry a laptop to offsite work locations.
Education and/or experience required:
- Juris Doctor.
- At least one year of post-JD experience in immigration law, representing clients in affirmative benefits applications to USCIS or in removal defense, ideally with prior experience representing children.
- Admission to New York bar strongly preferred. Will consider applicants actively working towards admission in New York.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Bilingual: Fluency in English and Spanish.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, maturity, and an ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Excellent organizational, project management and computer skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law, particularly to children’s issues and/or immigration.
- Experience supervising paralegals or other staff.
17 days 23 hours ago
Catholic Charities Community Services
Please review all application instructions before applying.
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of New York assists the poor and vulnerable through an extensive federation of more than 100 human service agencies and programs. Formally established in 1917, Catholic Charities developed into a federation of administered, sponsored and affiliated agencies. This federation of agencies, diverse in governance, administration and funding, stands united by a common vision of human dignity and service. Catholic Charities offers service to those of all religions with almost any human need. Catholic Charities serves the homeless, the hungry, the physically, mentally and emotionally challenged. We offer programs for youth, neglected children, the elderly, immigrants, and those living with HIV/AIDS. Catholic Charities collaborates with parishes and non-Catholic and Catholic partners in order to fulfill its commitment to building a compassionate and just society. Catholic Charities serves the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island, and ten counties of the New York metropolitan area including: Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess, Orange, Ulster, Sullivan and Putnam.
Jobs You Might Also Like
View More Jobs in New York City, NY:
- View More Jobs in New York City, NY
- More Staff Attorney ICARE Jobs in New York City, NY
- More Legal Jobs in New York City, NY
- More Catholic Charities Community Services Jobs in New York City, NY
View More Jobs in New York:
- View More Jobs in New York
- More Staff Attorney ICARE Jobs in New York
- More Legal Jobs in New York City, NY
- More Catholic Charities Community Services Jobs in New York