Sr. Lab TechnicianTextron Inc. - Rockford, IL
Sr. Lab Technician','262201','!*!POSITION SUMMARY:
Manages various resources to execute lab performance and is actively involved in the new product development process giving feedback to engineering and product management on Greenlee and competitive product performance and specifications. This person will execute product performance, life, environmental, abuse, vibration and noise tests for competitive analysis, product development, pilot run, production release, cost improvement, international standards certification, product liability and design improvements. This person will execute the design and documentation of test methods that include selection and purchase of equipment and materials, monitoring set-ups and developing data acquisition techniques to meet testing requirements. Improves laboratory capability by recommending equipment and developing test procedures. Maintains lab processes and equipment to meet quality, environmental and safety system standards.
The ideal candidate will not only be technically competent as noted but will also be a good leader and communicator. This person will have a passion for excellence and continuous improvement and will be looked upon as a key contributor in the product development process.
1. Schedule and Track Test Requests and Lab Improvement Projects. Develops resource load plans to ensure staff, samples, materials, fixtures and test equipment availability effectively matching new product development priorities while maintaining high efficiency.
2. Develop Test Methods to ensure that the requester's objectives and schedule requirements are met. Reviews incoming test requests for clarity of purpose and to determine how lab equipment and resources can best meet test criteria. Clearly document test methods and releases approved test reports for future reference.3. Analyze Test Data which may require importing data from specialized test equipment or data acquisition systems to prepare graphs, charts, statistical analyses, curve fitting, trend analysis, and communicate the data and expert analysis with engineering and product management.4. Contribute to the New Product Development Process by making suggestions to the Product Development Teams on potential failure modes, ease of operation and suggestions to better meet customer, safety or manufacturing improvements objectives. Provide training and technical support to engineers using lab equipment for testing various design features. Perform product validation testing for pilot and production release. This may also include participating in cost reduction, warranty problem analysis or failure analysis. 5. Arrange Outside Testing such as metallurgical or vibration tests. This requires identifying the need for outside services when lab equipment or capability cannot meet test requirements, surveying potential providers of the service required, coordinating the delivery of test samples, specifying testing and documenting and releasing results.
6. Write and Maintain Standard Test Practices that define the type of tests and standard test methods for specific Greenlee product families. An understanding of customer applications along with Industry and International standards are needed to developing these standard test practices.7. Calibrate Laboratory Equipment according to the Greenlee ISO Quality System procedures and maintain accurate inventory of lab equipment along with a preventative maintenance schedule. Arrange for outside calibrations services as required. Maintain calibration schedule and records of calibration equipment.8. Maintain a clean and safe lab environment in compliance to Greenlee Environmental Management procedures, Lean 5S practice and Greenlee Safety and Health procedures. This may require training and enforcing use of personal protection equipment, MSDS’s, hazardous waste management and emergency procedures with the engineers or other lab technicians.
9. Assemble, Operate and Dismantle Test Setups using a variety of test equipment including tensile-compression machines, hardness testers, strain gages, load cells, thermal test chambers, electrical power sources, hydraulic test benches and dynamometers. Incorporate monitoring equipment such as temperature, pressure, torque, current and voltage sensors into the test set-up as needed to monitor test set-ups and measure product data. Programs data acquisition systems using computer programming languages, control board programs, microprocessors, data logging equipment, PLC's, or other recording equipment as required.10. Stock and Maintain Records of Consumable Materials used by the laboratory such as various sizes and styles of steel, conduit, and cable. Initiate purchase requisitions for c99onsumables as required.11. Design and Fabricate Test Fixtures required to perform tests. This requires a level of proficiency in performing sizing calculations and preparing engineering drawings necessary to communicate the parts requirements to outside fabrication shops. 12. Conduct Standard Certification Tests prior to submittal to certification laboratories or under the supervision of approval agencies such as UL. Ensure that lab procedures and equipment meet the requirements of the approval agency. Prepare lab facilities for audit by approval agency as required.13. Research and Recommend New Lab Equipment to replace obsolete items or expand testing capability of the lab. Coordinate procurement and installation of approved equipment is also required. Maintain awareness of current state-of-the-art testing equipment, methods and devices through monitoring of literature, NERAC searches and attendance at seminars, conferences and trade shows.','!*!KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:Associates Degree in a technical field or the equivalent coupled with at least eight years of test lab experience. Experience with UL test procedures is a plus. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:Must be able to lift and carry materials weighing a minimum of 50 lbs occasionally, and/or generate up to 50 lbs of force frequently to move objects. This job will require occasional operation of tools in a repetitive manner as part of life testing some products.','Textron is committed to providing Equal Opportunity in Employment, to all applicants and employees regardless of, race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, military status, veteran status, handicap, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.','Textron is committed to providing Equal Opportunity in Employment, to all applicants and employees regardless of, race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, military status, veteran status, handicap, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.','','The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise, have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.','The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise, have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.','Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements, including US Citizenship, for access to classified information.','Engineering','US-Illinois-Rockford','','Textron Tools & Test: Greenlee','Textron Tools & Test: Greenlee','Full-time','Individual Contributor','First Shift','','02/13/2018','Textron (and its subsidiaries) participates in E-Verify. We will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employer’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.','Sr. Lab Technician
9 days 20 hours ago
applySr. Lab Technician Textron Inc. - Rockford, IL, United States
Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) is not only one of the world's best known multi-industry companies, it is a pioneer of the diversified business model. Founded in 1923, we have grown into a network of businesses with total revenues of $12.2 billion, and approximately 33,000 employees with facilities and presence in 25 countries, serving a diverse and global customer base. Headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A.,Textron is ranked 225th on the FORTUNE 500 list of largest U.S. companies. Organizationally, Textron consists of numerous subsidiaries and operating divisions, which are responsible for the day-to-day operation of their businesses ("Textron businesses")
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Hp/Chem Spec (RAM Shipping), II, III, Sr (Nuc)-5160
- Dental Technician CAD/CAM Designer
- Senior Laboratory Technician - QA
- Wood/Metal Shop Technician
- Manager IT Applications Research
View More Jobs in Rockford, IL:
- View More Jobs in Rockford, IL
- More Sr. Lab Technician Jobs in Rockford, IL
- More Textron Inc. Jobs in Rockford, IL
View More Jobs in Illinois:
- View More Jobs in Illinois
- More Sr. Lab Technician Jobs in Illinois
- More Textron Inc. Jobs in Illinois