Sports DirectorYMCA Camp Flaming Arrow - San Antonio, TX
Under the direction of the Executive Director, this position develops, organizes and implements high quality YMCA sports programs. Director is responsible for maintaining working relationships with the community and venders while performing these duties in accordance with the policies, procedures and standards established by the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.
1. Directs and supervises youth sports activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs staff and volunteers. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
3. Schedules and conducts Coaches Orientations and Sports Specific Trainings each season.
4. Secures and schedules athletic fields and facilities, and works with Risk Management to review contracts and insurance requirements.
5. Transports and sets up equipment for games and practices; monitors and purchases necessary sporting equipment as budget permits.
6. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information, may organize and schedule program registrations. May review and process program scholarship applications.
7. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
8. Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
9. Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
10. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
11. Attends appropriate and needed training offered by the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. The Sports Director must also be present to all training that concerns the sports department (Parent Orientation, Coaches Trainings, No Coach meetings, Sport Cabinet meetings etc).
12. Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation
13. Sets up table files for program registration. Builds rosters for all youth sports programs by ensuring that coach, player, and other special request are met.
14. Handles all uniform ordering to include sponsorship coordination with sponsors and coaches.
15. Coordinates and trains volunteer coaches to ensure adequate number of coaches for program needs. In addition, develop seasonal coach directories, ensure adequate files for all volunteer coaches, and proper CBCs for all volunteer coaches.
16. Develops practice schedules with volunteer coaches and teams.
17. Follow systems, practices, and training related to risk management and safety of participants and staff, and follow incident report procedures and policies.
18. Other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent.
2. Two years experience directing sports programs is preferred.
3. Experience managing a large number of sport program participants and budget is required.
4. Must have leadership experience supervising both staff and high volumes of program volunteers as well as proven success in peer group work settings.
5. A strong foundational knowledge of the technical aspects of basketball, baseball, soccer, football, and other sports, and a firm grasp on the concept of using sports as a vehicle for Youth Development.
6. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of
7. Strong problem solving skills required in interactions with parents, coaches, volunteers and staff.
8. Must understand the basic concepts of a voluntary, non-profit organization, as well as the structure of the YMCA as a partnership of volunteers and staff, and accept a commitment to the YMCA mission.
9. Employee must have working knowledge of a Mac environment, Gmail, and Microsoft Office Suite.
10. Certifications required within the first week of hire: Redwoods Bloodborne Pathogens, Defensive Driving, and Hazardous Communications
11. Certifications required within the first 60 days of hire: CPR Pro and First Aid. This position must have the ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
12. A Texas Driver’s license is required as well as capacity to drive to various locations within the greater San Antonio metropolitan area.
1. Work is performed in a fast-paced office, school gymnasium, and outdoor environments. Position requires attending meetings at different off-site locations.
2. Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to safely supervise children’s activities.
3. Visual acuity is required for reading computer screens and/or documents and making changes as necessary/required.
4. Job requires high levels of alertness and concentration. This position requires analytical abilities and multitasking in order to identify problems and recommend solutions.
5. Job requires accuracy and attention to detail, organizational, and time management skills, while maintaining high levels of initiative in order to work within deadlines.
6. Occasional stooping and bending with regular lifting of up to 20 pounds is required.
7. Incumbent must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time, as well as, able to manipulate keyboards, telephone keypads, and writing utensils is essential.
9 days 14 hours ago
applySports Director YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow - San Antonio, TX, United States
YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow was originally known as the San Antonio YMCA Boys Camp In the late 1800s the San Antonio YMCA began offering summer camp experiences to area boys and in 1927, bought its first permanent campsite in Hunt, Texas. The 217-acre site located on the banks of the south fork of the Guadalupe River was named the San Antonio YMCA Boys Camp. During the next couple of years, ten, wooden, screened cabins that held eight people each were built facing the river. The camp was used only during the summer season and its leaders were made up of San Antonio Y staff, school teachers, and administrators. Activities offered included swimming, boating, archery, woodwork, camp craft skills and sports. In the 1940s horses were added to the program as well as canoeing, tennis, riflery, rope swing, and Ping-Pong. It was during this time period that a recreation hall was built in front of the camper cabins.
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Sports Coordinator
San Antonio, TX
- Entry Level Training Sales Account Manager - Sports Minded
San Antonio, TX
- Sports Anchor / VJ
San Antonio, TX
View More Jobs in San Antonio, TX:
- View More Jobs in San Antonio, TX
- More Sports Director Jobs in San Antonio, TX
- More Sports Jobs in San Antonio, TX
- More YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow Jobs in San Antonio, TX
View More Jobs in Texas:
- View More Jobs in Texas
- More Sports Director Jobs in Texas
- More Sports Jobs in San Antonio, TX
- More YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow Jobs in Texas