Senior Data Scientist - Pricing Inventory ModelsCarMax Business Services, LLC - Richmond, VA
Senior Data Scientist - Pricing & Inventory Models
Job ID #: 7950
Location: VA - Richmond, Home Office
Position Category: Strategy
Department: Corporate Strategy
Division: CarMax Home Office
Education Required: Bachelors Degree
Position Type: Full-Time Regular
Experience Required: 1 - 3 Years
Over twenty years ago, CarMax disrupted the automotive industry and to this day remains the undisputed market leader in a $500B industry. With best-in-class financial performance, customer satisfaction, and associate engagement, CarMax is well positioned for continued growth. With this growth, we strive to maintain our analytics-based competitive advantage through our algorithm driven pricing and inventory systems. To do so, were currently looking for experienced analytical modelers and data scientists who are looking to apply their passion for data and technology to drive business-critical decisions.
The primary responsibility for the pricing and inventory models team is to accurately value the unique characteristics of each individual car that we buy or sell, and also allocate those vehicles across our 150 stores. Last year alone, CarMax sold more than 1 million vehicles, appraised over 2 million vehicles, and had $100m in weekly auto auction spend - all while dealing with constantly changing consumer demand, wholesale auction supply, and other market conditions that are often regionally differentiated.
To properly value and allocate these vehicles, our modeling experts must be able to apply statistical methods to develop predictive models that accurately and instantaneously calculate thousands of recommendations for our field associates daily. This requires the combination of a deep understanding of statistics/machine learning/other unique methodologies, the technical skills to apply that knowledge to develop and validate models, the creativity to be able to/the curiosity to want to apply it in a unique way, and the results focus and analytical ability to quickly diagnose and fix data integrity concerns as they arise.
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THIS ROLE?
As a technical expert of our models, a successful Senior Analyst candidate will:
1. Develop and improve models by:
- Analyzing vast amounts of complex pricing-related data, applying statistical/machine learning/other unique methods to develop/validate/improve predictive models and to identify data integrity issues
- Finding creative ways to enhance existing models by incorporating new insights and data sources (customer interest metrics, web click stream data, market pricing data, etc.)
- Designing controlled experiments to assess the business value of new models
- Presenting insights and recommendations to Senior Management to drive change
2. Help CarMax continue to develop its data expertise by:
- Researching innovations and best practices related to data sources and modeling methodologies
- Influencing the team in the development of our modeling capability strategic roadmap
3. Communicate how our models work to team members, both at a general level and a detailed level
WHAT TYPE OF PERSON ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
To be successful for this role, we are looking for someone that can consistently deliver at a high level on the responsibilities listed above. A few of the competencies that will position you for success are:
1. Strong modeling skills and a desire to continue to grow those skills
- Passion for using analytics in problem solving
2. Ability to influence the teams results
- Experience managing your own projects and delivering timely results
- Record of building and maintaining strong working relationships
- Ability to explain standard or novel modeling methods
3. Desire to develop into a strong technical leader and/or people manager
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS ROLE?
- Undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline (graduate degree in statistics, data science, or related field is a plus)
2. Data Science Experience
- 2 years of experience in strategic analysis, financial analysis, consulting or engineering (experience using SQL and Python to analyze big data sets is a plus)
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF WORKING IN THIS ROLE?
1. Ability to make a large impact on a Fortune 500 company
- Play key role in driving companys strategy
- Despite being undisputed market leader, CarMax only has a 4% market share of the late-model used car market, allowing room for exponential growth
2. Large focus on professional development
- Your development is as important as your work in our group
- Our leaders are heavily invested in helping all analysts hone their technical, communication, leadership, and other skills
3. Great work environment
- CarMax was voted a Fortune 100 best company to work for 14 years in a row
- Good work/life balance; we work hard, but enjoy very reasonable hours
- Work with a close knit team in a fun and casual environment. The broader Strategy Group at CarMax consists of 100 analysts with stellar work and academic backgrounds contributing to our collaborative atmosphere
- In addition to comprehensive benefits, we have perks like flexible vacation and an on-campus fitness center
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?
16 days 10 hours ago
applySenior Data Scientist - Pricing Inventory Models CarMax Business Services, LLC - Richmond, VA, United States
CarMax was built on the idea that there had to be a better way to buy a used car. So we set out to change things by making the buying process as easy (and fun!) as possible. Before anything else though, we laid the foundation upon which our car-selling venture would be built: INTEGRITY.
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Senior Data Scientist – Pricing Inventory Models
View More Jobs in Richmond, VA:
- View More Jobs in Richmond, VA
- More Senior Data Scientist Pricing Inventory Models Jobs in Richmond, VA
- More CarMax Business Services, LLC Jobs in Richmond, VA
View More Jobs in Virginia:
- View More Jobs in Virginia
- More Senior Data Scientist Pricing Inventory Models Jobs in Virginia
- More CarMax Business Services, LLC Jobs in Virginia