SENIOR ASSOCIATE, UNDERWRITER(61425)New York Life Insurance Company - Duluth, GA
New York Life Insurance Company (New York Life or the company) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life's surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody's Aaa; Standard & Poor's AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company's decisions and actions for over 170 years.
Reporting to a Managing Underwriter, the Senior Associate Underwriter is responsible for evaluating life insurance applications and determining whether applications should be approved, declined or if additional information is required. Senior Associate Underwriters review cases with a 2-Year Total Amount at Risk of $3,000,000 including those with an Attending Physician Statement as part of the application and are authorized to issue or decline all such cases.
Senior Associate Underwriters predominantly rely on Underwriting Guidelines to evaluate an applicants risk classification; however, due to the complexity associated with multiple conditions or atypical lab results, Senior Associate Underwriters are frequently required to make assessments of applicant risk absent specific direction from the Underwriting Guidelines. Whether synthesizing the mortality risk of medical labs and family history or discounting the mortality risks of highly correlated factors such as motor vehicle reports and avocations, Underwriting Associates are expected to evaluate an applicant's overall risk profile, not simply summing the total from individual risk factors. Medical Directors and Managing Underwriters are available for consult as necessary; but Senior Associate Underwriters are expected to make a decision recommendation, not open-ended requests for insight.
As the majority of applications reviewed by this role include Attending Physician Statements, a Senior Associate Underwriter must have a working knowledge of medical terminology and awareness of how various medical impairments interact and effect individual mortality risk. Senior Associate Underwriters also work closely with General Office personnel and may, at times, speak directly with agents. Consequently, Senior Associate Underwriters must have strong communication and customer service skills.
• Accurately classify the mortality risk for proposed insureds as above average (Preferred/Select Preferred), average(Standard), below average (varying Substandard risks and Decline) based on both medical and nonmedical information on cases with 2-Year TAAR (Total Amount At Risk-Dollar amount requiring underwriting) of $5 million or less - generally including an Attending Physician Statement. The increased amount of risk to the company and the complexity associated with the potential financial requirements needed as well as the increased medical knowledge and understanding needed to accurately assess an Attending Physician Statement require a broader knowledge base and experience level from the underwriter.
• Maintain a strong working knowledge of our administrative systems, product rules, Underwriting Guidelines and medical factors impacting mortality
• Communicate by phone directly with agents and general office personnel as well as provide written updates regarding application status, additional requirements needed, input errors and required corrections, Reinsurance offer details and requirements, reconsideration questions, appeal requests, and the final underwriting decision and associated reason(s)
• Assist the Quality Control unit with audits by reviewing and auditing individual cases per the guidelines as well as serving as a consultant when grey areas and difficult decisions arise during the auditing process
• Mentor underwriters on proper documentation of case files, providing instruction to underwriters on how to write thorough but concise medical or financial referrals, as well as clear and concise written communication to internal and external customers.
• Accurately classify the mortaility risk on non-contractual attained age term conversions, contract changes, and reinstatements with a TAAR (Total Amount At Risk-Dollar amount requiring underwriting) up to and including $5,000,000. For example: a case was issued Standard 23 years ago, payment ceased, and the policy is on Term Extension for another 12 years. The PI's current medical history would warrant a decline on a new business case. Should underwriting reinstate the existing policy or not?
Participate on projects where the Senior Associate Underwriter's experience in underwriting, customer relations, and interdepartmental knowledge would benefit such as training initiatives, work-flow and systems improvements, Best Practices meetings, etc.
*Bachelor Degree preferred. *Minimum of 7+ years Life Underwriting experience. *Strong oral and written communication skills, strong customer service skills. *Strong interpersonal skills, excellent teamwork.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Based on revenue as reported by Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual), Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
**Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company's long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company's profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
76 days 17 hours ago
applySENIOR ASSOCIATE, UNDERWRITER(61425) New York Life Insurance Company - Duluth, GA, United States
New York Life Insurance has been providing life insurance policies in the Big Apple since it was a tiny seed. While the top mutual life insurer in the US has branched out a bit, it retains its core business: life insurance and annuities. Its products include long-term care insurance and special group policies sold through AARP and other affinity groups and professional associations. New York Life Investments' offerings include mutual funds for individuals and investment management services for institutional investors. Through New York Life International, the firm provides life policies in overseas markets. Founded in 1841, New York Life is owned by its policyholders.
View More Jobs in Duluth, GA:
- View More Jobs in Duluth, GA
- More SENIOR ASSOCIATE UNDERWRITER(61425) Jobs in Duluth, GA
- More Insurance Jobs in Duluth, GA
- More New York Life Insurance Company Jobs in Duluth, GA
View More Jobs in Georgia:
- View More Jobs in Georgia
- More SENIOR ASSOCIATE UNDERWRITER(61425) Jobs in Georgia
- More Insurance Jobs in Duluth, GA
- More New York Life Insurance Company Jobs in Georgia