Resident Camp LIT CounselorYMCA Camp Flaming Arrow - Hunt, TX
The LIT counselor, under the direction of the LIT Coordinator and the Resident Camp Program Director, is responsible for the leadership of Leader-In-Training cabin groups. Counselor will provide high quality outdoor educational, recreational, and leadership experiences for LITs that focus on the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. Staff are required to live on-site for the duration of employment, staying in cabins overnight.
1. Maintain cabins, program areas, and dining hall in a neat, clean and orderly fashion prior to, during, and after camper arrival and departure.
2. Facilitate and lead LITs’ activities, enforcing safety rules, instructions, procedures, and other pertinent information.
3. Know where campers are at all times and provide direct supervision to include cabin wake up, bathroom activities, and transitioning between programs, while adhering to camp’s program schedule.
4. Manage daily welfare of each child in the LIT program and make sure they are healthy and having fun.
5. Follow the LIT schedule to ensure that the campers receive the training and experience expected from this program.
6. Assist and lead LIT’s in completing service projects.
7. Conduct a time with all LITs, introducing yourself and going over camp policies/rules on opening day.
8. With the LIT Coordinator, assist in evaluating LIT mid-session and end-session.
9. Facilitate programs in a positive, professional manner while exemplifying the YMCA of Greater San Antonio’s mission and values.
10. Foster an inclusive environment for all campers.
11. Must demonstrate maturity and a commitment to work with campers, parents, and staff from a variety of backgrounds while providing quality programming.
12. Monitor the health and safety of campers at all times, to include reporting signs of child abuse to the Program Director.
13. Serve as a primary responder to accidents.
14. Keep the LIT Coordinato and Resident Camp Program Director informed of any problems or concerns regarding participants health, camp facilities, vehicles, supplies and equipment.
15. Ensure that campers are reporting to the camp nurse for scheduled prescribed medications.
16. Report any accidents or injuries to the Resident Camp Program Manager and Resident Camp Program Director and complete incident reports.
17. Other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Preferred age of at least 19 years, must be at least 18.
2. Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field is preferred.
3. Ability to plan, organize, implement, and lead age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate
4. Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships people from different backgrounds.
5. Certifications required upon hire: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen, Child Abuse Prevention, Hazardous Communications, Bloodborne Pathogens, and HIPPA.
6. Additional certifications required upon hire dependent on areas of focus: lifeguard, high ropes, swim lessons.
1. Work is performed in a highly active, outdoor, camp environment during high temperatures.
2. Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, canoeing, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires, physical games, and activities.
3. Must have the ability to communicate both orally and written, with all levels of staff, children and parents.
4. Position requires high levels of attention and alertness with the visual acuity to supervise children.
5. Repetitive stooping and bending with occasional lifting of 50 pounds is required.
6 days 9 hours ago
applyResident Camp LIT Counselor YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow - Hunt, TX, United States
YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow was originally known as the San Antonio YMCA Boys Camp In the late 1800s the San Antonio YMCA began offering summer camp experiences to area boys and in 1927, bought its first permanent campsite in Hunt, Texas. The 217-acre site located on the banks of the south fork of the Guadalupe River was named the San Antonio YMCA Boys Camp. During the next couple of years, ten, wooden, screened cabins that held eight people each were built facing the river. The camp was used only during the summer season and its leaders were made up of San Antonio Y staff, school teachers, and administrators. Activities offered included swimming, boating, archery, woodwork, camp craft skills and sports. In the 1940s horses were added to the program as well as canoeing, tennis, riflery, rope swing, and Ping-Pong. It was during this time period that a recreation hall was built in front of the camper cabins.
Jobs You Might Also Like
View More Jobs in Hunt, TX:
- View More Jobs in Hunt, TX
- More Resident Camp LIT Counselor Jobs in Hunt, TX
- More YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow Jobs in Hunt, TX
View More Jobs in Texas:
- View More Jobs in Texas
- More Resident Camp LIT Counselor Jobs in Texas
- More YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow Jobs in Texas