Process Development EngineerCorning Incorporated - Hickory, NC
Process Development Engineer
Date: Aug 3, 2022
Location: Hickory, NC, US, 28601
Requisition Number: 56684
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise inspecialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position:
• Development engineer focused on advancing optical component design and cable demarcation points.
• Develop knowledge of materials, fundamentals of furcation design including cable/connector interactions, and cable characteristics. Capability includes over-molding process and mechanical structure design.
• Solving problems based on fundamental understanding gained through the use of the scientific method and DOE.
• Work closely with other engineers and technicians to define and perform experiments to develop process technologies and solutions.
• Application of DMAIC and advanced statistical tools.
• Champion deployment of new furcation/demarcation design and over-molding technologies that reduce manufacturing cost, increase capacity, and meets customer application needs.
• Projects could support any Corning division or research and development.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with engineers and technicians to design and develop new process methods and technologies for multifiber cable breakout point and demarcation points
• Create operational ranges for parameters defined as a result of experimental development.
• Support project teams and the definition of project deliverables and timelines.
• Work with internal and external subject matter experts to identify key processing technologies and determine feasibility.
• Engage global manufacturing plants to capture manufacturability of proposed solutions and support initial implementation of new process technologies.
• Collaborate with internal and external equipment and tooling designers to establish functional requirements.
• Solve problems and improve processes based on fundamental understanding.
• Structured problem solving methods such as KT, Designed Experimentation, and Six Sigma.
• Capture new ideas for possible patent submission.
*Ensure that requirements are properly developed and documented in conjunction with appropriate manufacturing, development, and commercial personnel.
• Work with manufacturing engineering to develop and implement process documentation for each project.
• Analyze process data using statistical tools (e.g. pareto, regression, time charting, analysis of variance, gauge R&R, etc.).
• Review and interpret data to make recommendations on immediate actions, long term corrective actions, follow-up experiments, etc.
• Define experimental plans, measurement methods, and mechanical setups for evaluation of key learning objectives.
• Carry out experimental plans by setting up equipment (such as various types of measurement systems and mechanical apparatus), performing experimentation, data collection & analysis, and providing test reports.
• Maintain and improve a safe work environment.
Travel Requirements: • 25% on average depending on the project requirements. Includes international travel.
• BS in Mechanical Engineering Required Years and Area of Experience: • 1-5 years of experience of in a development or experimental laboratory environment working with electrical/mechanical assembly and testing.
• Demonstrated problem solving techniques.
• Demonstrated, applied mechanical aptitude.
• Ability to clearly express technical ideas.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external customers and within multi-national groups
• Ability to work in technical project teams in a team member role.
• Desire to learn and develop personal and organizational knowledge.
*Proficient in the use of MS Office (Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint) Desired Skills:
• Design products or manufacturing processes using CAD (Pro Engineer a PLUS)
• Ability to interpret drawings and schematics.
• Capable of performing complex data analysis using MS excel (SPC), or statistical software such as JMP or Minitab.
• Familiar with fiber optic theory.
• Proficient in the use of DOE, SPC, Six Sigma and other process control/ analysis techniques to recommend decisions based on thorough data analysis.
• Project management experience and demonstrated application of project management tools.
• Proactively collaborates throughout an organization and drives technical culture.
• Experience with discrete assembly processing.
• Experience developing automated processes.
• Collaboration with internal and external equipment designers.
• Fluent in foreign languages: Spanish, English, Chinese, and Polish.
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Personal initiative and commitment
• Organized with good planning and time management skills
• Ability to build relationships within cross functional groups; team building skills
• Positive attitude, flexible and good work ethic
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Hickory
33 days 11 hours ago
applyProcess Development Engineer Corning Incorporated - Hickory, NC, United States
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Supervisor, Technology Development
- Supervisor, Technology Process Development
- OCS Cable Knowledge Development Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Controls Engineer
View More Jobs in Hickory, NC:
- View More Jobs in Hickory, NC
- More Process Development Engineer Jobs in Hickory, NC
- More Engineering Jobs in Hickory, NC
- More Corning Incorporated Jobs in Hickory, NC
View More Jobs in North Carolina:
- View More Jobs in North Carolina
- More Process Development Engineer Jobs in North Carolina
- More Engineering Jobs in Hickory, NC
- More Corning Incorporated Jobs in North Carolina