Mechanical Development Technician JobCorning Incorporated - Hickory, NC
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware, and equipment to be a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry. This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data, and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments, and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position:
• Development technician focused on advancing optical fiber connectivity innovation.
• Solving problems based on fundamental understanding gained through the use of the scientific method and DOE.
• Work closely with engineers to perform experiments and develop process technologies and solutions.
• Collaboration with internal and external subject matter experts.
• Evaluation of new raw materials, component designs, processes, and equipment.
• Projects could support any Corning division or research and development.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with engineers to design and develop new process methods and technologies for fiber optic termination.
• Work with internal and external subject matter experts to identify key processing technologies and determine feasibility.
• Work with engineers and global manufacturing resources to evaluate manufacturability of proposed solutions and support initial implementation of new process technologies.
• Provide project support to evaluate process concepts through configuration and modification of lab based systems.
• Carry out experimental plans by setting up equipment (such as various types of measurement systems and mechanical apparatus), performing experimentation, collecting data, and providing test reports.
• Solve problems and improve processes based on fundamental understanding.
• Support structured problem-solving methods such as KT, Designed Experimentation, and Six Sigma.
• Capture new ideas for possible patent submission.
• Ensure that experimental execution and data are properly documented.
• Develop draft procedures and documentation for processes and equipment.
• Support project deliverable and timeline execution.
• Maintain and improve a safe work environment.
• 25% on average depending on the project requirements. Includes international travel.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• 40 hours/week
• Two-year technical degree or military equivalent
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 1 years of experience of in a development or experimental laboratory environment. Ideally working with electrical/mechanical assembly and testing.
• Strong problem solver utilizing structured techniques.
• Demonstrated, applied mechanical aptitude.
• Ability to clearly express technical ideas.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to communicate effectively within a global work environment.
• Use of hand and electrical tools.
• Ability to follow detailed instructions.
• Ability to work in technical project teams in a team member role.
• Able to make sound decisions by blending analytical thinking with practical judgment.
• General computer and networking knowledge (MS office).
• Strong communication skills.
• Data retrieval and management.
• Design products or manufacturing processes using CAD (Pro Engineer a PLUS)
• Capable of performing complex data analysis using MS excel (SPC), or statistical software such as JMP or Minitab.
• Familiar with fiber optics.
• Fluent in foreign languages: Spanish, Chinese, and Polish
• Experience with lab and equipment electrical controls and measurement systems (PLC, LabVIEW, etc.)
• Experience in manufacturing environment
• Experience with discrete manual and/or automated processing equipment.
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Personal initiative and commitment
• Capable of working independently and seeking assistance and/or clarification as needed.
• Organized with good planning and time management skills
• Ability to build relationships within cross functional groups; team building skills
• Positive attitude, flexible and good work ethic
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Apply online at:
Position Type: Full-Time Permanent
Years of Experience Required: 1
Education Required: JD
6 days 7 hours ago
applyMechanical Development Technician Job Corning Incorporated - Hickory, NC, United States
Corning Incorporated manufactures and sells specialty glasses, ceramics, and related materials worldwide. The company operates through five segments: Display Technologies, Optical Communications, Environmental Technologies, Specialty Materials, and Life Sciences. The Display Technologies segment manufactures glass substrates for active matrix liquid crystal displays (LCDs) that are used primarily in notebook computers, flat panel desktop monitors, and LCD televisions. The Optical Communications segment manufactures optical fiber and cable, and hardware and equipment products comprising cable assemblies, fiber optic hardware and connectors, optical components and couplers, closures, network interface devices, and other accessories. The Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary, and gasoline and diesel applications. The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide approximately 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics, and fluoride crystals. The Life Sciences segment develops, manufactures, and supplies scientific laboratory products, such as general labware and equipment, as well as specialty surfaces, media, and reagents for cell culture research, bioprocessing, genomics, drug discovery, microbiology, and chemistry. This segment also develops and produces various technologies, including the Corning Epic technology for screening; the Corning HYPER platform of vessels for cell yields; Corning Microcarriers for cell scale-up, therapy, and vaccine applications; Corning CellBIND, Matrigel, BioCoat, and Synthemax II surfaces; and Corning stemgro media. Corning Incorporated has strategic collaboration agreement with World Kitchen, LLC. The company was formerly known as Corning Glass Works and changed its name to Corning Incorporated in April 1989. Corning Incorporated was founded in 1851 and is based in Corning, New York.
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Plant Maintenance Technician
- Manufacturing Maintenance Technician II
San Antonio, TX
- Manufacturing Technician
- GLAZE LINE TECHNICIAN
- Staff Manufacturing Process Engineer (IV)
View More Jobs in Hickory, NC:
- View More Jobs in Hickory, NC
- More Mechanical Development Technician Job Jobs in Hickory, NC
- More Manufacturing Jobs in Hickory, NC
- More Corning Incorporated Jobs in Hickory, NC
View More Jobs in North Carolina:
- View More Jobs in North Carolina
- More Mechanical Development Technician Job Jobs in North Carolina
- More Manufacturing Jobs in Hickory, NC
- More Corning Incorporated Jobs in North Carolina