Legal AssistantNebraska Department of Justice - Lincoln, NE
Legal Assistant: The Nebraska Department of Justice seeks a full-time legal assistant.
This position will provide administrative support to the Tobacco Enforcement Unit of the Consumer Protection Division for the purpose of enforcing the Master Settlement Agreement, Nebraska tobacco laws, and other applicable regulations. The position requires the candidate to:
- Process incoming mail and telephone calls for the Tobacco Enforcement Unit;
- Perform secretarial and related clerical duties, including calendaring, expense reporting, and file management in both paper and electronic form;
- Provide litigation support by drafting correspondence and legal pleadings, and electronically filing documents using JUSTICE and federal e-filing systems;
- Draft memoranda for internal use and correspondence to regulated parties;
- Review and maintain documents produced to, or obtained by, the Attorney General on a recurring basis, including corporate records, financial statements, tax filings, and other confidential or proprietary materials;
- Advise personnel in the Consumer Protection Division when records from regulated parties are incomplete or missing;
- Make decisions based on an acquired knowledge of Nebraska tobacco laws and the Master Settlement Agreement;
- Maintain confidentiality regarding ongoing investigations and other matters not subject to public disclosure.
REQUIREMENTS: Graduation from high school with at least two years of administrative secretarial or general secretarial experience in a law office or government agency.
PREFERRED: A paralegal certificate obtained through either an ABA approved paralegal studies program or an accredited college or university and one year (full-time equivalent) of paralegal experience in a law office or government agency. Four years of substantive work experience in the capacity of a legal assistant may substitute for the paralegal certificate. In order to meet the substitution, the experience must demonstrate responsibility for paralegal tasks beyond those tasks routinely completed in an administrative support role.
OTHER: Applicant accepting a job offer must pass a background check.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Maintains and demonstrates a high level of professionalism and the ability to communicate effectively with others. Must be dependable, organized, detail-oriented and accurate in their work.
Candidates with experience in the following areas are preferred:
- Maintaining administrative, fiscal, and statistical records, including records stored electronically;
- Civil litigation support; and
- Electronic filing through JUSTICE or federal e-filing systems.
Full-time state benefits available.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Dana Hoffman, Director of Operations.
The Nebraska Department of Justice is dedicated to assuring equal employment opportunity to applicants and employees in all aspects of personnel administration without regard to political affiliation, race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, or religious creed and with proper regard for their privacy and constitutional rights.
This position is eligible for veterans’ preference.
6 days 20 hours ago
Nebraska Department of Justice
Please review all application instructions before applying.
To serve the citizens of Nebraska and Nebraska's elected officials with fidelity to our U.S. Constitution, State Constitution, and Nebraska law.
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Legal Assistant / Paralegal
- Litigation Paralegal
- Paralegal I
- Row Document Supervisor
- Assistant / Associate General Counsel
View More Jobs in Lincoln, NE:
- View More Jobs in Lincoln, NE
- More Legal Assistant Jobs in Lincoln, NE
- More Legal Jobs in Lincoln, NE
- More Nebraska Department of Justice Jobs in Lincoln, NE
View More Jobs in Nebraska:
- View More Jobs in Nebraska
- More Legal Assistant Jobs in Nebraska
- More Legal Jobs in Lincoln, NE
- More Nebraska Department of Justice Jobs in Nebraska