Legal Administrative Assistant- Intellectual PropertyBarnes & Thornburg LLP - Indianapolis, IN
Performs a variety of duties for Intellectual Property Trademark and Patent attorney(s), including assisting in obtaining patent protection for clients in the United States and abroad. Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Operates a computer, particularly word processing applications such as Microsoft Word, and other programs, including Adobe and Microsoft Excel.
2. Prepares correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from primarily written but sometimes oral drafts; drafts standard correspondence, and other documents.
3. Prepares and uploads patent documents for filing with the USPTO website.
4. Updates patent docketing system for actions taken.
5. Screens telephone calls and records messages.
6. Reviews and prioritizes incoming patent mail to determine action needed.
7. Updates document management system and physical files for client and patent office correspondence.
8. Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system.
9. Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
10. Updates visitor tracking system for clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
11. Makes appointments for attorney(s), including arranging conference rooms and catering for client meetings.
12. Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills.
13. Submits attorney expense reports and invoices via accounting system.
14. Works closely with administrative support staff (word processing, reprographics, receptionists, etc.); proofs documents returned from word processing.
15. Performs legal assistant duties as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters. Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent.
2. Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
3. Ability to proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
4. Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
5. Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate in person, by e-mail and telephone to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
6. Approximately one to two years on the job experience necessary in order to gain an understanding of law office policies and procedures and produce accurate legal documents with minimal supervision.
7. Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Outlook.
8. Patent and/or Trademark experience preferred but not required.
9. Experience in software packages used by the Intellectual Property Department and the United States Patent and Trademark Office is preferred but not required.
10. Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain while producing a high volume of information performing other essential duties.
11. Work occasionally requires more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position; may require irregular hours.
Barnes & Thornburg LLP
applyLegal Administrative Assistant- Intellectual Property Barnes & Thornburg LLP - Indianapolis,IN,United States
Barnes & Thornburg LLP is a national, full-service law firm representing clients ranging from Fortune 500 corporations to entrepreneurial growth companies. We provide services in more than 50 areas, including litigation, labor and employment, global services, healthcare, governmental services and finance, intellectual property, environmental, business, construction, white collar crime, life sciences, real estate, energy, telecommunications, transportation and utilities; and finance insolvency and restructuring
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Legal Administrative Assistant (intellectual Property)
- Legal Secretary, Intellectual Property
- Legal Administrative Assistant- Intellectual Property
- Legal Counsel
View More Jobs in Indianapolis, IN:
- View More Jobs in Indianapolis, IN
- More Legal Administrative Assistant Intellectual Property Jobs in Indianapolis, IN
- More Legal Jobs in Indianapolis, IN
- More Barnes & Thornburg LLP Jobs in Indianapolis, IN
View More Jobs in Indiana:
- View More Jobs in Indiana
- More Legal Administrative Assistant Intellectual Property Jobs in Indiana
- More Legal Jobs in Indianapolis, IN
- More Barnes & Thornburg LLP Jobs in Indiana