General CounselAhtna, Inc. - Anchorage, AK
Job Title: General Counsel
Company: Ahtna, Inc.
Schedule: 40+ Hours per Week
Job Location: Anchorage, Alaska
The General Counsel’s primary objective is to advise the company with regard to legal risk. The General Counsel must be aware of all transactions the company is in engaged in, including those that are in their preliminary stages. This will ensure limited risk exposure to the bottom line, personnel and the company’s public image. Given the nature of Ahtna, Inc.’s business operations, the General Counsel is expected to be a subject matter expert on ANCSA, ANILCA, Corporate Governance, land protection and development, Alaska native hunting and fishing rights, customary and traditional hunting and fishing rights of Alaska Native peoples, government and nongovernment contracts, and employment law. The General Counsel oversees Legal, Risk Management, and Ethics and Compliance. The General Counsel will serve as a key member of Ahtna, Inc.’s Management Team, and will have additional job responsibilities in overseeing that organizational objectives are met.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Performs as the primary legal strategist for legal business matters to the AI President, AN Chief Executive Officer, the Board of Directors and Committees, and other executives within the organization
• Provides legal counsel to the company through members of senior management and the Board by providing business-oriented advice and partnering with all company organizations to drive and meet business objectives preparing documents to support same
• Acts as advisor to or coordinates on legal issues involving the organization’s government and regulatory compliance as well as risk management from the legal/business perspective
• Serves as the subject matter expert on ANCSA, ANILCA and corporate governance issues, and guides the organization on issues including Alaska native hunting and fishing rights, government and nongovernment contracts, employment law, and land and resource management
• Supports business development functions. Manages contract review and risk management team by providing guidance, negotiation strategy and leadership for all revenue generating contracts and other agreements
• Implements and enforces corporate compliance programs
• Represents Ahtna, Inc. and its subsidiaries in legal briefing and hearings or court appearances, as necessary
• Assists with formation of new companies, drafting company policies, providing position papers, and drafting/reviewing legal agreements
• Selects, develops, and evaluates the Legal, Compliance, Risk, and strategically selects, retains and manages cost-effective outside resources including outside legal counsel
• Manages department within budget while delivering solid, innovative, timely results
• Develop and deliver training on various issues
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: These are the minimum qualifications to be considered for this position.
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school required
Admitted to the Alaska Bar Association
• Minimum 10 years of experience as a licensed attorney, with minimum 5 years supervisory/management experience. Experience in the following areas required:
• Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, Alaska National Interests Lands and Conservation Act or ANILCA and Alaska Native issues and concerns generally, including land and resource management, Alaska native hunting and fishing rights, shareholder relations, and corporate governance
• Drafting and negotiating contracts, and litigation management experience
• Alaska Driver’s license and be willing to travel occasionally
• Government contracting, Small Business Administration 8(a) program, and construction operations.
• Experience and knowledge of Alaska Native cultures
Pursuant to PL 93-638, as amended, preference will be given to qualified Ahtna Native Corporation Shareholders, Descendants, and Spouses in all phases of employment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. These are in addition to the Core Competencies listed in the Employee Handbook that all employees are expected to demonstrate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Administration and Management -- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
• Analytical – The individual synthesizes complex or diverse information to assist in determining legal process requirements and developing best practices in workflow
• Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions, displays orientation to profitability, demonstrates knowledge of market and competition, and aligns work with strategic goals
• Delegation – The individual delegates work assignments, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities
• Law and Government -- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, legal codes, ordinances, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process as related to the essential functions of this job
• Management and Leadership Skills – The individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement, makes self available to staff, provides regular performance feedback, inspires respect and trust, mobilizes others to fulfill the vision, exhibits confidence in self and others, and accepts and integrates feedback from others
• Legal - Demonstrated knowledge of modern legal office practices and procedures, principals of modern record keeping, setup and maintaining filing systems, legal phrases and terminology, litigation, law library administration, and litigation calendaring. Demonstrated understanding and analysis of contracts and the component parts, including the significance of templates, boilerplate provisions and multiple alternatives for contract provisions
• Oral and Written Communication – In addition to the definition provided in the Corporate Core Competencies, the individual also demonstrates group presentation skills, prepares and delivers written reports, conducts meetings and negotiates with employees, subcontractors and clients. Creates moderate to complex contractual instruments. Demonstrates strong influence-management, negotiation, leadership and assertiveness skills
• Project Management – The individual displays intimate knowledge of project management tools, procedures and the technical and administrative aspects of all phases of project management. Must be able to meet deadlines with tight turnaround schedules
• Software & Reporting - The individual is highly experienced in advanced features of MS Word and Excel with working knowledge of the other software tools within the Microsoft Office Suite and has a demonstrated knowledge of computerized database applications.
• Shareholder Relations – Demonstrated ability to relate to Alaska Native Shareholder needs and concerns. The individual must be able to understand and adapt to the requirements of public relations activities in rural Alaska
• Strategic Thinking - Understands organization's strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions
• Travel - Ability to travel in / outside of Alaska
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described in this job description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this job.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Frequent sitting for prolonged periods of time, using hands/fingers requiring dexterity and coordination to handle files and single pieces of paper, reaching with hands and arms for items above and below desk level, talking, hearing, and seeing (up close, at a distance, along the periphery, with depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus); walking from place to place within the office with occasional use of stairs and no elevator available; bending, pushing, pulling, and standing for up to 2 hours; occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds such as small office equipment, files, stacks of paper, reference and other materials.
Work is performed in an office setting with ability to speak and receive phone communications often. Work requires computer usage with strength, dexterity, coordination and visual acuity to use keyboard and video display terminal and other office equipment. Moderate travel required to shareholder communities, subsidiary offices and other locations as needed.
[Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions].
Ahtna Inc.is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or protected veteran status. Native preference applies under PL 93-638. We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
12 days 3 hours ago
applyGeneral Counsel Ahtna, Inc. - Anchorage,AK,United States
Ahtna subsidiaries excel in a variety of business activities, including civil and vertical construction, environmental remediation, facilities management and support services, food service contractors, forestry and gravel sales, government contracting, healthcare and medical records services, janitorial services, oil and gas pipelines maintenance and construction, staff augmentation, surveying, and training range operations.
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Associate General Counsel
- Corporate Paralegal
- Associate General Counsel
- SUPERVISORY AIR TERMINAL SPECIALIST
Elmendorf Afb, AK
- Associate General Counsel
View More Jobs in Anchorage, AK:
- View More Jobs in Anchorage, AK
- More General Counsel Jobs in Anchorage, AK
- More Legal Jobs in Anchorage, AK
- More Ahtna, Inc. Jobs in Anchorage, AK
View More Jobs in Alaska:
- View More Jobs in Alaska
- More General Counsel Jobs in Alaska
- More Legal Jobs in Anchorage, AK
- More Ahtna, Inc. Jobs in Alaska