Commercial Underwriting ManagerCNA. - Houston, TX
Commercial Underwriting Manager','UND0002PN','Yes','Yes','!*!If you're looking for an employer who provides a great place to work and opportunities to grow . . . we can show you more.
The Commercial Manager is responsible for directing a commercial P&C underwriting group and is accountable for the business results, growth and profitability of an assigned book of business. The open position is located in Houston, TX reporting to the Commercial Director and is responsible for P&C book for the Southern Texas territory.
This role provides leadership to a team of Underwriters and is responsible for business results through profitability, business development, analysis and monitoring of an assigned book of business, as well as attracting and developing underwriting talent. The role may also include underwriting a partial book of business aligned with Key Agent/Broker Relationships. Operating with a high degree of technical complexity and coordination, this role may have regional, industry segment, or company-wide scope of responsibility. The role will have significant input to business strategies and the responsibility for the execution of those strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Sales and Distribution Management
· Drives full deployment of sales disciplines, processes, and tools to manage the sales process and audit results
· Partners with the Branch Manager, Commercial Underwriting Officer and Specialty Line partners to establish business sales objectives and is responsible for achieving sales targets
· Drives prospecting discipline, including a cross-sell focus, with underwriting staff along with consistent and effective sales coaching
· Acts as a relationship manager with key producers in the territory; establishes goals, provides timely communication, and conducts cross marketing efforts
· Responsible for driving talent management, including but not limited not: attracting, managing, developing and retaining talent
· Creates a high performance culture through effective communication and quality goal setting, differentiation of compensation and performance, proactive management of low performers and retention of top performers
· Ensures development opportunities for high potential employees by ensuring development plans include special projects, assignments rotations, etc.
· Ability to interact, influence, and develop relationships within all levels and areas of the organization
· Promotes diversity by managing and including team members of all backgrounds
3. Portfolio Management
· Ensures achievement of gross written premium, retention, and new business plans
· Improves producer plant by revitalizing select producers, addressing underperforming producers, and establishing prospecting process
· Manages CAT aggregations, manage AAL to premium ratios, and implements CAT pricing discipline
· Drives and achieves rate goals (by line) with rigorous emphasis in profit improvement businesses
· Ensures achievement of gross written premium, retention, new business plans, and portfolio management goals
4. Underwriting Expertise
· Effectively drives quality by achieving acceptable audit results
· Manages staff account referrals to meet productivity targets / effectively allocate for greatest return
· Assesses underwriting skills of underwriters, delegating underwriting authority based on demonstrated skills, and creates a plan to increase underwriting technical capabilities
· Applies deep knowledge of market and industry to advise others and provide guidance in regards to complex risks, exposures, and decisions
· Uses all appropriate underwriting tools (e.g. RST, BPMT, Merlin, etc.), discipline and knowledge of strategies to achieve successful audits
Driven by our commitment to our customers, CNA’s winning behaviors (externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, and continuously learning) distinguish us from our competitors. CNA employees exemplify these behaviors in all responsibilities and interactions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Ability to effectively lead, coach and develop underwriting staff
· Advanced technical expertise, underwriting skill and knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures
· Strong communication, negotiation and presentation skills; ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA’s internal and external business partners
· Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
· Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues
· Ability to practice, teach and coach effective sales disciplines
· Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems
· Ability to achieve business goals and objectives
Owned by Loews Corporation, CNA is one of the country’s largest writers of commercial insurance, providing protection to more than 1 million businesses and professionals in the U.S. and internationally. We offer unique expertise for the businesses and industries we serve, providing quality products and dependable services that help prevent and minimize loss. Our focus on providing solutions and inspiring trust differentiates us from other companies and supports long-term relationships. Our commitment to diversity enables us to serve a broad range of customers while supporting our communities through charitable contributions and employee volunteerism.
*LI-KC1','','','Underwriting','United States-Texas-Houston','','Field Ops S - Houston','May 29, 2018','Ongoing','','false','Commercial Underwriting Manager
77 days 17 hours ago
applyCommercial Underwriting Manager CNA. - Houston, TX, United States
Since 1897, CNA has been providing outstanding service and an ongoing commitment to building long-term relationships, earning us a reputation for being a carrier that inspires trust. At CNA, we take pride in our ability to offer innovative products and services that meet the evolving needs of our customers and business partners alike. As the 7th largest U.S. commercial insurer and the 13th largest U.S. property & casualty insurer, we provide insurance protection to more than one million businesses and professionals in the U.S. and internationally. We understand the importance of being where our customers are. Headquartered in Chicago, CNA has offices throughout the U.S., Canada and Europe. In these locations, we work with highly professional independent agents and brokers to ensure our customers receive the personal service and attention they look for in a carrier.
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Commercial Loan Portfolio Manager Job
- Analyst, Credit Underwriting 3
- Lending Officer 4
- Commercial Underwriting Officer, Business Banking Houston
- Analyst, Credit Underwriting 3
View More Jobs in Houston, TX:
- View More Jobs in Houston, TX
- More Commercial Underwriting Manager Jobs in Houston, TX
- More CNA. Jobs in Houston, TX