In the early 1920's, a group of farmers in the Manning area, called upon a fellow farmer, Albert Puck, to be their agent to purchase coal, flour, apples, overshoes, watermelons and the likes.
Along with these commodities, there was a need for the ordering of horse-drawn rakes, bale movers, cultivators and other related farm equipment. As the units arrived in Manning, a facility was needed to store and distribute them. A warehouse was rented from an elevator company on the Milwaukee railroad and merchandise was stored until it was needed. Later, the Farmer's Union moved to a second location along Madison Street in Manning.