The roots of the firm date from 1897, when R. F. Spragins commenced the practice of law in Jackson, Tennessee. After his death in 1923, his son, R. Hearn Spragins commenced practicing law in 1926 and T. L. Spragins, another son, joined that practice in 1929. Sidney W. Spragins began practicing with his father, R. Hearn Spragins in 1956. In 1975 Sidney W. Spragins and Franklin Murchison combined their practices and Mr. Murchison's father, Carmack Murchison became 'Of Counsel'. In 1994, the Firm merged with Butler and Rheney, combining the two practices. Over the years, the firm has been home to attorneys who have gone on to become Circuit Judges ( T. L. Spragins and Franklin Murchison), Bankruptcy Court Trustee (William L. Guy), City Attorney (Sidney W. Spragins and Lewis L. Cobb), Mayor of the City of Jackson (Charles H. Farmer), and Chancery Court Judge (James F. Butler).