Nestled in the beautiful Flathead Valley of Northwestern Montana, Kalispell Regional Medical Center is a pleasant surprise. Our hospital offers a level of care one might only expect of a large metropolitan area, including:
A comprehensive cancer program, accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
A wide range of orthopedic services
A Neuroscience and Spine Institute
A gynecological surgery program including advanced laparoscopic and robotic procedures
A comprehensive cardiovascular program including a cardiac catheterization lab, electrophysiology, heart surgery
A Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The roots of health care in the Flathead Valley go back to 1888 when care was rendered by local physician, Dr. E.F. Cunningham. The first formal hospital was opened for business in 1896, under the direction of Ella Webber, a 32-year old nurse from Wisconsin.
When the Great Northern Railway moved to Whitefish, medical care was provided by physicians in the area, at home and in two facilities: The MacDonald Hospital and the Japanese Hospital.
The next formal institution was opened in 1910 by the Sisters of Mercy. Called Kalispell General Hospital, the Sisters of Mercy owned and operated the facility until 1973. Searching for additional space to provide care, Kalispell Regional Hospital moved to its present day location on Buffalo Hill in 1976. Since this time the medical facility has continued to expand, adding additional services and personnel to provide a full line of medical care for the Flathead area. Services added include: Neurology (1979), A.L.E.R.T., the first rural rotor wing air ambulance program (1975), an Intensive Care Unit (1981), Radiation Oncology, the New Addition Birthing Center, the first MRI in the State of Montana and Home Health (1987), Dialysis and Heart Catheterization Services (1988), Inpatient Rehabilitation (1989), Pathways, a psychiatric and substance abuse treatment center (1993), cardiac surgery (2001) and Neonatology (2008). Remodel and cutting edge ideology has long been the norm at KRMC, with new patient care areas and diagnostic space being added as technology changed.
Today's Kalispell Regional Medical Center is a regional referral center, offering a full spectrum of health care services. Our medical care is provided by nearly 200 physicians and 1400 employees throughout 100 departments. Steeped in a rich and rewarding history, KRMC strives to improve the health and comfort to all who enter our system.