About Polsinelli PC
Polsinelli, a national law firm ranked among the Am Law 100 with over 740 attorneys located in 19 offices, deliberately seeks constant improvement in all that we do. At its inception more than forty years ago, the firm established a culture of openness and entrepreneurship that still pervades today. As the fastest growing U.S. law firm for the past six years as ranked by The American Lawyer*, the firm’s growth has been fueled by the recruitment of like-minded attorneys from top law firms across the country.
Polsinelli attorneys successfully build enduring client relationships by providing practical legal counsel infused with business insight, and with a passion for assisting General Counsel and CEOs in achieving their objectives. The firm focuses on healthcare, financial services, real estate, life sciences and technology, and energy and business litigation, and has depth of experience in 100 service areas and 70 industries.
In 1972 Jim Polsinelli and colleagues formed the firm to serve business and real estate clients in a small office in the historic Country Club Plaza District in Kansas City, Missouri. The firm has continued to see impressive growth over its 40+ year history with expanding practice areas and office additions, most recently in San Francisco and Atlanta. The addition of these offices is part of our strategic plan to better serve the increasing needs of our clients.
We strive to align our services to our clients' business goals. Doing so has allowed us to attract experienced attorneys across the country seeking a platform best suited to their clients' priorities. With our firm’s concentration of presence in lower-overhead markets, we are able to offer more comprehensive services than local or regional firms and more competitive overall cost than national firms concentrated in higher cost markets.
|Year of establishment
||Number of Partners
|Number of offices
||Percentage of women attorneys
|Number of attorneys
||Percentage of minority attorneys
|Number of associates
||Percentage of LGBT attorneys
- The firm's attorneys have notched up many significant victories that have had far reaching consequences for their clients. Mentioned here are a few of them:
- Polsinelli Shughart represented a medical device manufacturing business with operations in the United States, Great Britain and Canada, in connection with the sale of substantially all of the assets of its medical device manufacturing business to a publicly traded Fortune 20 company. A transaction valued at over $500 million.
- Polsinelli Shughart guided a nonprofit 13-hospital healthcare system through one of the largest hospital sale transactions in US history, a transaction that entailed a nonprofit to for-profit sale conversion.
- Polsinelli Shughart filed and prosecuted patent applications worldwide in over 50 countries.
- Polsinelli Shughart provided clearance opinions for new HIV drugs, including the active, carrier, combination of drugs, and method of making.
- Polsinelli Shughart provided guidance for client websites including domain name, copyright, trademark, artwork, meta links, and security.
- Polsinelli Shughart developed strategies for patenting and commercializing new medical devices, including working with health care group on reimbursement strategies for commercialized products.
- Polsinelli Shughart defended a national bank from numerous claims asserted by a pro se plaintiff. The case was one of several cases asserted by the plaintiff over a period of several years. The firm's attorenys assisted in drafting a Motion to Dismiss which was granted by the trial court.
- Polsinelli Shughart represented 36 grocery retailers located throughout Missouri, Kansas and Arizona as part of a mass action litigation and trial team. Mr. Bartels pursued three cases in federal court prosecuting claims in excess of $250 million for product overcharges and racketeering against the grocery wholesaler, a Fortune 500 company.
- Polsinelli Shughart successfully obtained declaratory judgment finding for company that forged parts for aircraft engines in case arising from the largest aviation recall in history that engine manufacturer could not enforce contractual indemnification agreement as a matter of law.
- Polsinelli Shughart successfully obtained complete dismissal of Fair Labor Standards Act claims brought as a putative collective action against the world's largest dedicated security technology company.
Area of practice
Polsinelli PC practices law in the following areas and works with its clients to provide the best possible legal solutions.
Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring
Corporate and Transactional
Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
Environmental and Natural Resources
Food and Drug
Government Investigations and Compliance-Civil and Criminal
Health Care Services
Infrastructure and Public-Private Partnerships
Labor and Employment
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Privacy and Data Security
Real Estate Finance
Real Estate Services
Securities & Corporate Finance
Awards and recognitions
Polsinelli Shughart is consistently ranked among the leading law firms in each of its central practice areas. Additionally, its lawyers are consistently recognized as industry leaders and ranked among the best practitioners worldwide. These are some of the awards that it has received.
Twenty Polsinelli Shughart lawyers were included in The Best Lawyers in America® for the first time increasing our total amount of lawyers ranked to 134 or approximately 20 percent of our firm. Polsinelli Shughart has 12 lawyers who have been included in Best Lawyers® for at least 10 years, three lawyers who have been included in Best Lawyers® for at least 20 years, and one lawyer has been ranked in Best Lawyers® for 25 years.
Ingram's Magazine readers have selected Polsinelli Shughart as a Gold honor winner in the Best Law Firm category for the third straight year.
Polsinelli Shughart went from four attorneys in 2011 to nine attorneys selected by their peers as the 2012 "Lawyers of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America®. Recipients of this prestigious award practice in Polsinelli's Denver, Kansas City, Phoenix and St. Louis offices.
Chambers USA, the world's leading guide to the legal profession, released its 2011 rankings for practice groups and lawyers. Polsinelli Shughart PC received rankings for 39 attorneys and 11 practice areas in Arizona, Delaware, Illinois, Kansas and Missouri.
Polsinelli Shughart PC attorney Grace S. Day of St. Joseph, Missouri, will be honored for her dedication to the legal profession and her impact on the lives of countless families in Northwest Missouri. Missouri Lawyers Weekly selected Day as its 2011 Women's Justice Award "Woman of the Year.
Polsinelli Shughart believes that only through innovation can they provide new and creative approaches that respond proficiently and successfully to their clients' needs that change from conventional legal requirements to avant-garde unanticipated problems. This, the firm believes, can only come through having a diverse workplace, where people from diverse cultures and diverse backgrounds will bring in different perspectives and ideas and provide new approaches to solving its clients' problems. The firm values diversity and does so by attracting, retaining, and mentoring the best legal and professional talent available, irrespective of who they are.
Polsinelli Shughart is committed having a working place environment in which diverse individuals feel welcome and contribute to providing excellent legal service, irrespective of whether their diversity is race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, socio-economic background, marital or parental status.
The firm provides equal opportunity to everyone, employees, attorneys, supervisors and managers, at Polsinelli Shughart to realize their potential and perform at their best. The firm also provides training and mentoring and believes that by providing impartial treatment and respect to the employees and respecting and valuing them for their differences, it helps to structure a cohesive and unified team that is better able to work together and provide unparalleled service to its clients.
The firm does not tolerate discrimination of any kind and addresses complaints of unfairness and inequity with alacrity and without retaliation or adverse employment action against the complainant. Any employee, attorney, supervisor or manager found to have engaged in discrimination or retaliation in violation of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination from employment.
Summer associate program
The firm places great emphasis in its summer associate program. The program commences with a two-day orientation program. Students will participate in the firm's specially designed for the summer associates professional development program that may include writing, negotiation, etiquette, associate life and community involvement.
Students can expect to be assigned a variety of projects in widespread practice areas. The firm puts considerable emphasis on research and writing as this helps them to analyze and assess the students, writing and analytical capabilities.
The summer associate's workload is observed to make certain that he/she is not overburdened with work, yet completes an adequate number of projects. The firm also ensures that the student gets to interact with attorneys in their preferred areas of legal practice. Summer Associates are also provided opportunities to attend hearings, depositions, closings, certain client meetings and other people-oriented events.
The students' work will receive appropriate and timely feedback. They will have two formal evaluations one half-way through their summer experience and once at its conclusion. In addition, they will receive feedback on each individual project from the supervising attorney. However, the firm has an "open door" affable environment. Students are welcome to contact the supervising attorney whenever they have questions or concerns about a project. The students will also have a partner and associate mentor assigned to them who will provide informal feedback throughout the summer.
While the firm appreciates that as new entrant to the legal profession there will be lacunas in their work but it looks for quality work product, attention to detail, and superior analytical and writing skills and that the summer associates are regular and neat in their work and submit their assignments on time.
Polsinelli Shughart offers many opportunities throughout the summer, both formal and informal, to socialize with others at the firm to get to know the people at the firm and its surroundings.
Working for the Polsinelli PC
Polsinelli Shughart believes that its employees play a crucial role in the success of the firm and that each employee fills a vital role, contributing to the superior legal service it provides its clients. The firm values and respects each and every employee and fosters a mutually respectful and caring atmosphere at the firm and the employees respond by taking pride in their work and producing quality, efficient services.
If you are looking for a challenging yet welcoming workplace, Polsinelli Shughart is a great place to begin and expand upon your legal career. In spite of its exceptional growth the work culture at the firm has remained relaxed, welcoming and entrepreneurial. Achieving professional excellence in a collegial and hospitable environment, where differences are respected, is what the firm places great emphasis upon.