Frederick B. Snyder and Robert Jamison graduated together from the University of Minnesota in 1881. Since there was no law school at the University, they "read" law in different law offices and studied together in preparation for the bar examination, which at that time was an oral examination conducted in open court. After passing the bar on June 24, 1882, Snyder and Jamison "hung their shingle" in the Bridge Square area, the triangle formed by Hennepin and Nicollet Avenues on the west side of the Mississippi River above St. Anthony Falls, and the law firm now known as Bassford Remele, A Professional Association, was formed.
Jamison was appointed Hennepin County District Court judge in 1893, and Snyder continued to practice, becoming one of the leading lawyers in the State of Minnesota. In addition to his thriving law practice, Snyder also made valuable civic contributions throughout his career, serving as a member of the Minneapolis City Council, the Minnesota House of Representatives and the State Senate. His most notable civic contribution was serving as Chairman of the Board of Regents at the University of Minnesota from 1914 until 1951.