The New Haven law firm of Mulvey, Oliver, Gould & Crotta and its predecessors was begun over 60 years ago, with a concentration in insurance defense work. It was founded by John C. Flanagan in 1949. Subsequently, in the 1960’s Peter C. Dorsey and Robert C. Flanagan joined and the firm became known as Flanagan Dorsey & Flanagan. It continued as Flanagan & Flanagan from 1974 to 1977 while Peter Dorsey served as United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut. It resumed its name in 1977 when Mr. Dorsey rejoined the firm upon conclusion of his federal service. Kenneth J. Mulvey, Jr., joined in 1975.
In 1980 John Flanagan was appointed a judge of the Superior Court, where he still continues to serve. Thereafter, the firm was known as Flanagan Dorsey & Mulvey until the start of 1981 when Robert G. Oliver and Carolyn P. Gould joined. The firm then assumed the name Flanagan Dorsey Mulvey & Oliver. The partners were Peter C. Dorsey, Robert C. Flanagan, Kenneth J. Mulvey, Jr., and Robert G. Oliver.
In 1983 Peter C. Dorsey withdrew from the firm upon becoming a U.S. District Judge for Connecticut. The firm continued under the name of Flanagan, Mulvey & Oliver until 1988 when Robert C. Flanagan withdrew to become a Judge of the Connecticut Superior Court, a position from which he has since retired.