About Covington & Burling, LLP
In an increasingly regulated world, we have an exceptional ability to help clients navigate their most complex business problems, deals and disputes.
Our distinctively collaborative culture allows us to be truly one team globally, drawing on the diverse experience of lawyers and advisors across the firm by seamlessly sharing insight and expertise.
What sets us apart is our ability to combine the tremendous strength in our litigation, investigations, and corporate practices with deep knowledge of policy and policymakers, and one of the world’s leading regulatory practices.
This enables us to create novel solutions to our clients’ toughest problems, successfully try their toughest cases and deliver commercially practical advice of the highest quality.
|Year of establishment
||Number of Partners
|Number of offices
||Percentage of women attorneys
|Number of attorneys
||Percentage of minority attorneys
|Number of associates
||Percentage of LGBT attorneys
- Throughout its history, the firm has handled many significant, high-profile matters for its clients. Some of the more recent significant cases include:
- Covington & Burling secured the victory against the largest content distributor in the nation when the Federal Communications Commission handed a decisive victory to the Tennis Channel yesterday in its discriminatory carriage lawsuit against Comcast Cable Communications.
- Covington led the Coalition of Broadband Users and Innovators, including Microsoft, Yahoo!, Google, eBay, and consumer groups before the FCC and Congress for policies that ensure that as broadband services are deregulated, these Internet content companies have the ability to reach their customers.
- Covington defended Sony BMG Music Entertainment in purported class actions alleging that Sony fails to pay recording artists the proper royalties for digital music downloads and ringtones.
- Covington defended the National Football League in a wide array of antitrust matters addressing licensing of intellectual property, franchise relocation, and ownership rules, among other subjects.
- Covington represented Samsung in a patent infringement case brought by Genoa Corporation relating to DLP television technology.
- Covington secured an award of over $1 billion for eleven oil companies against the United States in the Court of Federal Claims, and then the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, to remedy the government's breach of nearly three dozen oil and gas leases off the coast of California.
- Covington successfully represented Merck in two major arbitrations involving insurance coverage for product liability claims relating to Vioxx.
- Covington represented Freddie Mac in multiple securities class action and derivative lawsuits brought in the wake of the company's $5 billion restatement of earnings, obtaining a very favorable global settlement after prevailing on a novel defense to class certification.
- Covington & Burling LLP successfully represented the European steel pipe industry in the anti-dumping investigation against Chinese imports of seamless pipes and tubes into the EU.
Area of practice
Covington & Burling, LLP practices law in the following areas and works with its clients to provide the best possible legal solutions.
Advertising & Consumer Law
Antitrust & Competition Law
Communications & Media
Election & Political Law
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Food & Drug
Insurance Coverage - Policyholders
Privacy & Data Security
Public Policy & Government Affairs
Securities/Derivatives Litigation & Enforcement
White Collar Defense & Investigations.
Awards and recognitions
Covington & Burling is consistently ranked among the leading law firms in each of its central practice areas. Additionally, its lawyers are consistently recognized as industry leaders and ranked among the best practitioners worldwide.
Ranked in A-list of twenty elite US law firms based on financial performance, pro bono activity, associate satisfaction, and diversity by The American Lawyer magazine from 2008-2012.
Selected as one of the nation's top five litigation departments by The American Lawyer magazine in 2008 and 2010.
The American Lawyer magazine has ranked Covington's pro bono practice among the top three firms for 15 of the past 19 years.
Ranked in the top 25 firms nationally by corporate directors - Corporate Board Member (2006-2011).
106 Covington lawyers in 46 practice areas recognized as "leaders in their field" - Chambers USA (2012).
Consistently top ranked in US and European surveys of leading law firms and attorneys.
Ranked as one of the best law firms for women nationally based on a survey measuring work/life and women-friendly policies, including flex-time, child care and women-focused mentoring, and leadership and networking programs by working mother, 2007-2009; 2011.
Covington and Burling believes that excellence in the practice of law knows no racial, ethnic, gender, religious, sexual orientation, or other boundaries. Its diverse lawyers bring a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences to the firm's practice. The firm consistently recruits, retains, develops and promotes a diverse group of lawyers and believes that their diversity is an asset and a source of strength for the firm.
The firm strives to support its lawyers not only in their professional development, but also in their efforts to balance the demands of their jobs with their outside interests and responsibilities. The firm believes that such a balance is crucial to the success and happiness of the lawyers but also contributes to the overall success of the firm.
The firm's Diversity Committee brings together associates, counsel, and partners, and a designated liaison from the firm's Management Committee in a concerted and focused effort to foster a diverse workplace.
The firm's Women's Forum provides women attorneys an opportunity to come together to discuss issues of common interest, including business and professional development, leadership and training opportunities, and mentoring.
To maintain this balance the firm has a policy under which lawyers can set up their own schedules. It provides a state-of-the-art day care facility in Washington which has the capacity to take care of almost 100 children from infancy to age 5. Covington is a leader in the legal community in providing employment benefits to attorneys and staff.
The firm believes that meaningful diversity means that every single lawyer is given a genuine opportunity for personal and professional growth. The firm is committed to providing all its lawyers, including women and minority lawyers with the opportunity to achieve personal growth, career satisfaction, and professional success at the firm.
Summer associate program
Through its summer associate program the company chooses a diverse group of students' from across the country and provides them with the opportunity to participate in a wide array of meaningful range of legal activity. The associates are exposed to the firm's long-lasting values that have shaped their destiny and ensured that they excelled in the service they provided to their clients.
The associates are provided a whole range of benefits that include moving expenses, annual leave, sick leave, parental leave, unpaid leave of absence, alternative work schedules, insurance, disability, emergency travel assistance and retirement savings plans.
The firm assigns all its associates an associate mentor and partner advisor, who supervise their assignments and advice and counsel them about working life at Covington. Constructive feedback is provided, through informal evaluations and discussion of projects with the associates.
All associates are provided with individual assistance that makes the difference between having a god working summer experience and great one.
Working for the Covington & Burling, LLP
Lawyers and non-legal staff seeking to work at Covington can expect exceptional opportunities and an assurance of working in a mutually respectful and stimulating environment. The firm gives enough space to its lawyers to carve out their own niches and develop expertise in emerging industries and new areas of the law.
As one of the world's leading firms Covington has a great reputation for representing some very big names in the business, with a great success record in solving complex legal matters and serving the public interest, according to the very highest professional standards.
The firm welcomes talented law students, trainees, lawyers and staff members with the capability, reliability, and enterprise to ensure that Covington & Burling continues to be a motivating and gratifying place to practice law.