About Transylvania Community Hospital Foundation, Inc
In 1933, two local physicians - Dr. Charles Newland and Dr. C.D. Cunningham - believed that Transylvania County should have a hospital of its own. Thanks to their initiative and foresight, Lyday Memorial Hospital (later renamed Transylvania Community Hospital) was established in the Norwood House at 206 West Probart St. in downtown Brevard. Later that same year, visionary leaders incorporated the hospital as a not-for-profit institution governed by a local board of trustees.
The need for hospital care close to home in the Depression era was somewhat more practical. As Ralph Ramsey, the first chairman of the Transylvania Community Hospital Board, once recalled, the only means of transportation available to many people at that time was a "Hoover car." "It was a Ford chassis made into a wagon with a horse hitched to it," Ramsey explained, "and you couldn't drive to Hendersonville in one of those."
Transylvania Community Hospital Foundation, Inc Reviews
Recommend to a friend
Approve of management
Transylvania Community Hospital Foundation, Inc LOCATIONS
Transylvania Community Hospital Foundation, Inc Headquarters