Thompson & Colegate LLP traces its history to 1915 when the firm was known as Craig, Sarau & Thompson. These partners took office space in downtown Riverside, California. In 1916, Hugh Craig was appointed to the Riverside County Superior Court bench. Sarau & Thompson remained together for another 30 years, until 1947, when the firm took its present name of Thompson & Colegate.
The firm has played an active role in the legal life of the Inland Empire for 100 years. It was instrumental in the growth of the desert communities such as the incorporation of the City of Palm Springs in 1938 and the formation of the Desert Hospital District.
Thompson & Colegate LLP is proud of its history of contributing members to the judiciary. Hugh Craig was the first alumnus of the firm to become a judge on the Superior Court bench of Riverside County. Hilton McCabe, Warren Slaughter, Robert Dauber, James D. Ward, Sharon J. Waters, Sherrill A. Ellsworth and Mac Fisher followed him from the firm to the judicial bench. Similarly, former firm alumni James Bishop and Joan Ettinger presently sit as Commissioners in the Riverside Consolidated Courts. Hilton McCabe and James D. Ward went on to appointments as Justices of the Court of Appeals.
The firm also has a long tradition of involvement in esteemed professional organizations. Tommy Thompson, Don C. Brown, Arthur W. Kelly, Bob Allen, and Don G. Grant and John W. Marshall were elected as Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Several members of the firm have also been elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates: Don C. Brown, Don G. Grant, J. E. Holmes III, John W. Marshall and Michael J. Marlatt.