In 1918 Judge William H. Donahue resigned from his position as Alameda County Superior Court Judge and William H.L. Hynes resigned as Alameda County District Attorney and founded the firm Donahue and Hynes. One of the oldest law firms in Oakland, the Donahue firm’s name would change over nearly a century, becoming Donahue Gallagher Woods in 2003.
Fitzgerald Abbott & Beardsley’s origins date to 1883, when Robert M. Fitzgerald opened his legal practice. Over the next 30 years, Mr. Fitzgerald formed a partnership with colleagues Carl H. Abbott and Charles A. Beardsley. We believe the Fitzgerald firm is the longest consistently practicing law firm in the entire state of California. In 2014, these two firms merged to become Donahue Fitzgerald LLP, continuing a strong history of legal excellence and community service.
Both legacy firms had long traditions of excellent service to clients who helped shape history. The Donahue firm represented some of the most significant clients in the Bay Area, including the Key System Transit Lines, PG&E, Pacific Telephone & Telegraph, and Lucky Stores. The Fitzgerald firm helped the fledgling community of Oakland with its many growing pains, spearheading development of the waterfront (later to become the Port of Oakland), establishing public transit in the area and creating an adequate water supply for Oakland’s residents. The combined firm continues to provide legal services for the Port of Oakland to this day.