About Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is a premier law firm with market-leading practices, a global perspective and strong New York roots. Our clients look to us to bring a distinctively high degree of quality, intensity and creativity to resolve legal challenges effectively and cost-efficiently.
Deep partner commitment, industry expertise and a strategic approach enable us to bring clear commercial judgment to every matter. We draw on the strength of our culture and structure to deliver the best of our firm to every client through true collaboration.
By any measure, Debevoise is among the leading law firms in the world. Nearly 85% of our partners are recognized by Chambers, Legal 500 or IFLR. The firm was also the winner of The American Lawyer’s “10-Year A-List,” a ranking of the law firms who have earned the highest cumulative score on the A-List since its inception.
Approximately 650 lawyers work in eight offices across three continents, within integrated global practices, serving clients around the world. Our lawyers prioritize developing a deep understanding of the business of our clients. We then pursue each matter with both intensity and creativity to achieve optimal results.
|Year of establishment
||Number of Partners
|Number of offices
||New York City
||Percentage of women attorneys
|Number of attorneys
||Percentage of minority attorneys
|Number of associates
||Percentage of LGBT attorneys
- Throughout its history, the firm has handled many significant, high-profile matters for its clients. Some of the more recent significant cases include:
- High-level complex M&A work, notably International Paper's $4.3 billion acquisition of Temple-Inland, Reynolds Group's $4.5 billion acquisition of Graham Packaging Company, KazakhGold Group Limited's $11 billion merger with OJSC Polyus Gold and Access Industries' $3.3 billion acquisition of Warner Music Group.
- Debevoise is also advising Access Industries in its pending acquisition of all of the oil and gas exploration and production assets of El Paso Corporation for approximately $7.15 billion.
- Of late Debevoise has done substantial work with Prudential Financial in its sale of Prudential Realty worldwide, its sale of a Mexican private pension manager, and the acquisitions of AIG Star Life and AIG Edison Life in Japan.
- Debevoise represented American International Group in its $2.16 billion sale of Nan Shan Life Insurance Company, Harbinger Group Inc. in its $350 million acquisition of Old Mutual U.S. Life Holdings, Inc., and Pan-American Life Insurance in its acquisition of select businesses and assets from MetLife in the Caribbean, Panama and Costa Rica.
- On the litigation side the firm is continuing high levels of work in cross-border and multi-jurisdictional arbitrations and disputes. It represented Russian client Norilsk Nickel, the largest nickel producer in the world, winning a judgment in a Caribbean court dismissing all claims against the firm's client in a shareholder dispute that had stalled client's ability to buy back $6.5 billion of its shares.
- Another notable representation involves Suzuki Motor Corporation in its current arbitration against Volkswagen AG.
- The firm is representing JPMorgan into phone/email hacking allegations in the UK, and in connection with regulatory inquiries concerning its home lending business. Debevoise advised in negotiating the $25 billion settlement announced early in 2012 between 49 states and the federal government with banks over mortgage servicing and foreclosures.
- Debevoise advised in the merger to create the largest stock exchange in Russia and the CIS, and ranked first among all law firms for Russian mergers and acquisitions.
Area of practice
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP practices law in the following areas and works with its clients to provide the best possible legal solutions.
Arbitration &International Disputes
Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Mergers & Acquisitions
White Collar & Regulatory Defense
Awards and recognitions
Debevoise and Plimpton is consistently ranked among the leading law firms in each of its central practice areas. Additionally, its lawyers are consistently recognized as industry leaders and ranked among the best practitioners worldwide.
Debevoise has been ranked among the top 10 law firms on the A-List for each of the nine years since the list's inception. The A-List is a ranking of the 20 most elite law firms in the United States, based on revenue per lawyer, pro bono performance, associate satisfaction and diversity.
In 2012, Global Arbitration Review ranked Debevoise 7th in the GAR 30, which ranks the world's most active arbitration practices.
Debevoise ranked in the top tier in both international arbitration and white collar crime in the 2012 edition of the Benchmark Litigation Guide.
Debevoise ranked 12th in "The Vault 100" prestige rankings in the Vault 2012 "Guide to the Top 100 Law Firms."
Private Equity International named Debevoise "Law Firm of the Year (Fund Formation)" in North America and "Law Firm of the Year (Transactions)" in Asia in 2011.
Debevoise was selected by Work Life Matters magazine for inclusion in its list of "Top Companies for LGBT Equality in 2011." The list recognizes companies and law firms at the forefront of ensuring equality in the workplace.
Debevoise received a perfect score of 100 in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's 2011 Corporate Equality Index. This is the fourth consecutive year that the firm has received a top rating.
Debevoise was named one of the "50 Best Law Firms for Women" by The National Association for Female Executives (NAFE) and Flex-Time Lawyers in 2011. The initiative, in collaboration with Working Mother magazine, recognizes the achievements of law firms that successfully retain and promote outstanding women of talent.
Debevoise and Plimpton is dedicated to attracting, retaining and promoting lawyers and administrative staff of diverse backgrounds as the surest way to build the strongest possible firm. The firm has an active and dynamic Diversity Committee that addresses diversity-related challenges in three general areas: mentoring, work opportunity and environment, education and communication.
In addition to the Diversity Committee, Debevoise has a full-time Diversity Manager who coordinates diversity initiatives with the Diversity Committee, the Management Committee and various other constituencies in the firm. The Diversity Manager acts as a resource for all lawyers and staff with respect to diversity.
The firm believes that one of the greatest strengths of Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is its community. Debevoise is committed to creating a work environment that values each individual's contributions to the community. It recognizes that it must work together every day to respect the different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of people at the firm and to support all colleagues so they have the ability to develop to their full potential. These values are the foundation of the firm and strengthen its ability to work together as a team so that it can provide its clients with the best legal services available.
Summer associate program
The firm's summer program combines substantial work experience with opportunities to gain broad exposure to the firm. The program is open to those who have completed at least two years of law school and is structured to provide associates with the flexibility to explore as many practice areas as they wish and as time permits. Debevoise endeavors to match work assignments to the associate's stated interests. The firm recognizes these may change during the course of the summer. Not only does the firm accommodate these evolving interests, it encourages the associates to pursue them.
The firm does not want its associates to be enchained in schedules and have, therefore, chosen not to impose an assignment system that "rotates" associates through different areas of the firm; as a result, the summer associate experience can be as broad or as focused in the associate's chosen direction. Some of the associates spend time in the firm's international offices. Debevoise also provides opportunities for placements with public interest organizations to enhance legal experiences and training opportunities.
Each year the firm devotes considerable effort to selecting summer program participants who it believes will be strong additions to the firm after graduation. Historically, because of the high quality of its summer associates, a very high percentage of them have received offers for associate positions. Most return to the firm and build on their experience as summer associates.
Working for the Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Working at Debevoise will provide the associates with training and opportunities that expose them to different aspects of the practice and provide them with the best foundation for a successful career.
Debevoise lawyers rank among the finest in each of the firm's core franchise practices, including strategic and private equity M&A, insurance and financial services transactions, private funds, complex litigation/investigations and international arbitration. In addition, cross-border matters tap a distinctive Debevoise capability and we are increasingly in demand for transaction and disputes work in the US, the UK, and Europe, as well as in emerging markets including Asia, Latin America and Russia.