On July 1, 1996, Paul R. Duffy and William J. Kearns combined practices to form the firm of Kearns & Duffy, P.C. This formation finds its origins in 1887 as one of the oldest, continuing firms in the area. At the time, Mr. Kearns had been practicing for the previous 18 years in the firm of Kearns & Coyle with his partner, the late Robert C. Coyle. Prior to that Mr. Kearns had been a partner in the firm of Kearns & Bruder from 1967 until that firm became Kearns & Coyle in 1976. The practice was originally established in 1887 by William J. Kearns, Esq., grandfather of Mr. Kearns and joined by his father, the late Anthony P. Kearns, Sr., in 1922 and the late Michael J. Bruder in 1923.