Vice President, Advanced Research and DevelopmentPatagonia - Ventura, CA
The VP of Advanced R&D is responsible for developing and leading a best in class advanced research and development team. By providing a pulse on industry direction in materials, chemistry, manufacturing process, and product innovation, you will be accountable through your team and cross-functional collaboration for driving the overall innovation vision from ideation through commercialization. You'll elevate the consumer experience by creating a strategy that maintains Patagonia’s commitment to technical product leadership, creating the best product, and doing no unnecessary harm.
The VP of Advanced R&D is also responsible to create opportunities for staff development, make hiring decisions, and drive performance management, recognition and rewards. He / she will develop a team structure that facilitates and maximizes individual and team performance. The VP of Advanced R&D will develop strong environmental and consumer-oriented points of view, leading the Advanced R&D team in executing the vision through clearly defined short, mid, and long-term research and development strategy. He / she will maintain healthy cross-functional relationships and build strong relationships outside of the immediate team. Additionally, as a member of Patagonia’s senior management team, the VP of Advanced R&D is responsible for forming strong relationships with the VP of Global Product, in addition to those leading the company’s product development and sourcing teams.
Essential Job Functions:
• Represent the voice of Innovation and Advanced R&D both inside and outside the Patagonia organization. Drive functional discussions and initiatives across departments, collaborating for results.
• Continually research new materials and product opportunities and technologies based on clearly defined research platforms, Patagonia business trends, trade shows, and the competitive landscape.
• Look outside the footwear, apparel and textile industries for opportunities that can be potentially relevant to Patagonia. Build the Advanced R&D roadmap in collaboration with key business stakeholders.
• Lead and direct the Quarterly Tech Summit, identifying and prioritizing key innovations that will distinguish Patagonia’s product line, and insure we lead the outdoor, fish, and surf industries.
• Direct the resources of the Advanced R&D team to insure the company’s commercialization efforts are on-track over the short, medium, and long-term horizons. Develop plans that divide work efficently within the R&D team, while at the same time leveraging and integrating their work with their counterparts in Materials R&D, Product Development, Quality, and Sourcing.
• Actively participate with Patagonia’s HIGG Indexing team, leading aspects of this effort where appropriate, and initiating R&D innovations that impact HIGG long-term.
• Collaborate with Business Unit Directors, Environmental Strategy Team, Designers, and Product Developers to develop innovation strategies that meet environmental, functional, design, quality, delivery, and price targets.
• Actively collaborate with Materials Quality R&D, Quality, and Product Development teams to establish test methods and product craftsmanship best practices for advanced research projects that fall outside the normal realm of lab procedure; using testing & certification resources outside the Patagonia lab when appropriate.
• Lead and manage your team, setting goals that align with department and function goals. Manage workload planning project delegation within the team.
• Oversee Company-wide Advanced R&D budget. Develop benchmark criteria to measure effectiveness and scalability of innovation and research investments.
• Conduct presentations and educational seminars to business unit directors, developers, designers, quality and other interested groups regarding technical developments and trends in the textile and materials industries.
o Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
o Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
o Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
o Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
o Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilizing various transportation methods.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
• B.A. /B.S. in Business, Chemistry, Textile Science or a related field; Master’s Degree preferred.
• 15 years’ experience, with 7 years’ experience in progressive leadership roles at the senior management level.
• Respectful and outstanding leadership skills that motivate staff to exceed expectations; the ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires people.
• Strong understanding and application of managerial concepts and techniques in areas such as project/change management, idea creation, employee development, coaching and cross-team effectiveness - lead and inspire!
• Team player attitude; solid positive energy; alignment with core values of the Patagonia business model.
• Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism and deliver results against complex timelines both individually and through your team.
• Experience communicating and collaborating with global partners.
• Excellent communication skills: written, verbal, presentation, and negotiation.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs.
• Demonstrated history of taking initiative and conscientiously following through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Back to Main Listing
Subscribe to our RSS feed
or sign up for email notifications
about our latest job openings.
Ventura, California Headquarters:
Associate Production Manager
Chemical Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
Creative Director - Product
Designer of Packs, Luggage and Accessories
Director of Chemical Engineering
Director of Global PR and Communications
Director of Industrial Engineering
Director, US Retail Stores
Industrial Engineer, Advanced Research and Development
IT Network Administrator
Master Data Management Analyst
Product Developer - Kid’s Apparel
Product Quality Engineer –Technical Line
Production Manager - Technical Outerwear
Senior Technical Designer
Supply Planning Analyst
Testing and Standards Engineer
Vice President, Advanced Research and Development
The Footprint Chronicles
Common Threads Partnership
Patagonia Ironclad Guarantee
1% for the Planet
Choose Country | US
Returns, Repairs & Recycling
Team & Event Sales
The Footprint Chronicles®
Design & Materials
California Transparency in
Supply Chains Act Disclosure
Security, Privacy & Terms
*Outlet stores are not participating. Sale limited to stock on hand. Sale prices apply only to selected Patagonia styles and colors on days specified. New for spring items, surfboards, wetsuits, wetsuit accessories, DVDs, books, Frisbee® Whirl, mugs, water bottles, gift cards, gift bags, Carry Y’All Bags, Patagonia Provisions, repairs and shipping are excluded. Offer valid in USA only. Not valid with any other offer. Sale ends Feb. 5, 2014.
© 2014 Patagonia, Inc.
Script section containing code for Chat Solution
228 days ago
applyVice President, Advanced Research and Development Patagonia - Ventura, CA, United States
Jobs You Might Also Like
- Vice President
- Vice President, Business Development
- Vice President: Market Research
- Corporate Vice President for Nursing Professional Developmen...
- Vice President of Research & Development
View More Jobs in Ventura, CA:
- View More Jobs in Ventura, CA
- More Vice President Advanced Research and Development Jobs in Ventura, CA
- More 100K Jobs in Ventura, CA
- More Patagonia Jobs in Ventura, CA
View More Jobs in California:
- View More Jobs in California
- More Vice President Advanced Research and Development Jobs in California
- More 100K Jobs in Ventura, CA
- More Patagonia Jobs in California